This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to backup NCM itself?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Field tech here (customer limits play time) and I've setup a couple dozen switches for nightly config backups, but how do I backup NCM itself? If the NCM program/s or server blows blue smoke and has to be completely reinstalled, how do I backup all of NCM settings, profiles, scheduled jobs, etc. It was installed by the customer and appears to have SQL 2014 on that server, but I read several articles here and they don't have management studio or any option to easy breezy right click and backup as mentioned. I'm thinking each Solarwinds product can have a way to back itself up?

• jblowerytc​ Backing up the database, directly, is the best way to go. SQL Server Management Studio should be free, so it should not be an issue to acquire. As long as you have the proper credentials to access, and backup, the db server from SSMS, you should be good to go.

Otherwise, I suppose you could manually export the "main" NCM tables from SWQL studio, or SSMS for that matter, and then manually rebuild them... But that is most likely the worst way to do it, other than handwriting all of the settings on a notepad, and the typing them back in, one at a time.

Thank you,

-Will

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to wluther

Thanks wluther!! I didn't know it was free, and the license might limit its use, but it does appear the full version is free (not sure if the Express version works similarly, so best to use the full version it seems.) The link I used is below, and its a hefty 919MB download:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms