This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How does Syslog Viewer Collect Info?

Hi there,

I'm trying to setup email alert in syslog viewer in orion server. I was able to do it except one nexus (private ip) and router (public ip). I have other devices that are same models (private ip) with no problem to send alert. I specified the source ip of switch and router in syslog viewer -> server setting -> alerts/filter rules -> general -> source ip address. I have both devices in NCM and NPM. I'm wondering how syslog viewer grabs switch and router info, and why only two devices not working with same config? Thank you.

• I figured out the nexus problem. For the router with public ip, do I need to change anything in the firewall or router config in order for it sending syslog to a private ip server? BTW, I cannot find the syslog of the router with public ip under solarwinds webconsole -> alerts&activity -> syslog

• soleilion

Yes, you will need to modify the firewall.

I assume that since you said the devices are managed in NCM and NPM any NAT/PAT translations are already being taking care.

If so, you need to specifically allow port udp/514, between the zones on the firewall where the router sits and where the SolarWinds server sits.

If you are not already managing the public device you will need to open the SNMP ports, ICMP, and possibly SSH, all depending on what you want the poller to do with the managed node.

Hope this helps.