This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Give us Feedback on the New End-of-Life Feature

One of the features we focused on most in NCM v7.2 Beta 2 is the possibility to attach end-of-life information to nodes managed by NCM. This blog post describes this new feature in detail.

We would be grateful if you subscribed to the Beta program and gave us your feedback.

To participate in the Beta program, simply fill out this survey and you will be sent the download links for the Beta. (If you already subscribed, you don't have to do it again.) Remember, Betas cannot be installed in production and you cannot upgrade the Beta to any other future versions.

Jiri

• I'm using the EOL of function and am glad it's here.  However, there are several glaring deficiencies. 

1- If I manually assign a date to the EOL and EOS fields, that information does not appear in the list of Suggested Dates such that I can use it again for other Machine types, there by forcing me to enter the same information again

2- It would be nice if we could add several more date fields in addition to the EOL and EOS.  Cisco in particular has about 10 different dates they advertise in the product life cycle.  Things like last date support contracts can be purchased.  I suggest these fields be user definable such as exists in NPM today.

3- Support for EOL/EOS on cards that go in the Machine Types.  I will use the Cisco example again.  Cisco's large frame routers like 6500 chassis have multiple cards that slide in and each of these cards have their own EOL/EOS dates.  So the chassis which is the Machine Type may not have and EOL/EOS but all or some of the cards might.  In our case we have 300 plus chassis that have an EOL in 2016, but they all have supervisor cards the EOL in 2014. 

• Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

ad 1. Natural enhancement, I agree.

ad 2. In fact, you can work-around this by adding custom properties. The main EoL/EoS grid allows you to add columns (custom properties maong others) and change the order.

ad 3. Another enhancement that we are aware of but not included yet.

Regards,

Jiri

• Ok so the ability to add custom properties is not obvious. I can’t for the life of me see where or how that is done

• Look at the screenshot and see the 'Columns' item in the menu. That's it.

EOL-Summary-Columns-RTM.png

• Ok so while this works it is extremely cumbersome in that the dates have to be entered in two places. I cannot enter the custom field dates on the same screen that I enter the EOL/EOS dates. Somehow Solarwinds needs to allow custom fields to be assigned to specific functions such as life cycle management. More so than just nodes, interfaces, etc

• As an added note, Custom Fields on the End of Support web page show the dates backwards. In other words the custom fields show YYYY/MM/DD and then a T and the time, while the non-custom property files, EOL and EOS, show mm/dd/yyyy and no time. I’ve put a ticket in to support on this. The odd thing about it is when you look at these custom fields in the Custom Property editor in NPM they dates show correctly

Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:24 AM

To: 'jive-466250685-51a-2-4iuc@solarwinds.hosted.jivesoftware.com'

Subject: RE: - Give us Feedback on the New End-of-Life Feature

Ok so while this works it is extremely cumbersome in that the dates have to be entered in two places. I cannot enter the custom field dates on the same screen that I enter the EOL/EOS dates. Somehow Solarwinds needs to allow custom fields to be assigned to specific functions such as life cycle management. More so than just nodes, interfaces, etc

• Hi,

Why would you want to enter the dates in two places?

You can both select a suggested date and enter your own on the same screen:

EOL-Summary-Assign-Page2-RTM.png

Regards,

Jiri

• I believe he means he cannot enter the EOL/EOS and the custom property dates in the same place. He has to enter EOL/EOS, and then either go find the Node and Edit Properties, or go to the Custom Property Editor and find node/edit values.

• I'm not sure if I'm missing something or it's staring me in the face but is there a way to display the EOL/EOS dates on the NCM Node Details or Node Details pages? There is the "End of Support Devices" resource but that shows all of the devices.