This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

FEATURE REQUEST - Solarwinds NCM fields update to meet our compliance check requirement

Associated Ticket# 00559547 

Solarwinds NCM allow defining config block to look for the configuration while checking device compliance. But, we have few compliance checks that require to check configuration inside the defined blocks only if a precondition is matched.

I need to define 3 stages.

1. Start and end block to define withing what section of the device configuration the compliance check needs to be done
2. Define a condition, such as if any of the device interface has a particular description. and only if this condition matches, the compliance check would be done on the config block define in the first point
3. Define what needs to be validated in the config block

As of now, I could see only the 1st and the 3rd options with Solarwinds NCM. Need to check how the second condition can be represented in Solarwinds NCM. If not, need help with raising feature request.

• I've accomplished the scenario you describe with extensive use of REGEX with lookaheads and lookbehinds.  I wrote a bit of an article about how to do it for my team when I was consulting, but sadly I don't have access to those files anymore or I'd post it here too.

• Thanks for the response. It would be helpful, if I can get a suggestion on how to approach it.

I have a similar example;

I need to check whether “no ip proxy-arp” line configured under all the interfaces which have IP address assigned. To script it in SolarWinds;

1. I can define the start and end block as interface start and interface end section.
    2. I can define the command “no ip proxy-arp”, to see whether it is present in each interface block captured in step 1

What I cannot do right now(or as per my understanding of the tool)

1. Defining a pre-condition, that only the interfaces which have IP address assigned are the one that needs to be checked.

Without this pre-condition, script would look for “no ip proxy-arp” config line under all the interfaces. And on devices generally you would find many interfaces without IP address assigned. This would create a false compliance alarm.