This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Export of Rules and Policies?

Hello all,

I'm currently evaluating NCM and it going very well but I have an "easy" question.. Is it possible to export Rules and Policies from one NCM implementation to another?  As I'm currently testing NCM on a development box and I'm hoping that I can move Rules/Policy to the production box when we purchase NCM.

TIA,

Ken

• Policies & Rules are kept in the DB.  So as long as you keep your DB and move it to your production environment you will be fine.

• I asked in another thread, but Ill ask here as well - how can we manually import policies to the DB?  (not create a new one - but import one from the content exchange?)

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to dclick

I have a similar question.  We are migrating from multiple regional NCM instances to a single corporate instance.  I have a number of devices, policies, reports and rules that I need to move to the new server.  I don't want to manually enter nearly 100 devices and their accompanying policies.

Is there a way to export my devices and policies to a file and re-import them to another server?

Rick

NCM 6.1
    NPM 10.1.1 SP1
    NTA 3.7

• Hello,

This capability is available in NCM 6.1, for which we have a release candidate available.

The fonction is available through the NCM/NPM Web integration as well as the Win32 interface.

The fonction is able to export reports, as well as policies and rules that they contain (you can't export policies and rules individually).

See preview screenshot.

Stay tuned for announcement about GA of NCM 6.1

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to fcaron

I need to import my devices and their setting first.  How do I do that?  Both servers are on NCM 6.1

Rick

• The Win32 app has a File / Import Devices menu, that allows you to import devices directly from another NCM (and actually NPM too). No need to export and import a file.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to fcaron

I got all the devices, reports, policies, and rules migrated to the new server.  I moved about 20 rules, many of which have many lines.  About 5 of the lengthly rules failed after the migration.  These same rules passed fine on the other server with the same devices.

By process of elimination, I identified that the last entry in each of the rules seemed to have an additional character(s) at the end that wasn't present in the original rule.  I deleted the last line of the rule and rentered it manually.  After that, the rules passed as they did previously.

This happend on all 4 of the transfers that I completed.  I suspect that the conversion process is inserting an extra and possibly unprintable character at the end of some rules.

• in NCM Console - I only see file -> export and it is greyed out.  If i try to schedule a job, I also don't see where to do this.

what is the "win32" app?  is that NCM console?

I need to export rules/policy from one NCM implementation to a second implementation. 

What am I missing...

Thx much

• d'oh, didn't look at web interface...old habits, etc..

• Hello,

We have recently purchased NCM. We have to move all our current compliance rules from our existing system (not Solarwinds). I can export our rules into xml from the existing system. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the required XML format would be in order for me to translate our existing rules into the correct format for NCM , then i would be able to import these rules.