This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Error Using NCM: Frimware Upgrades

Has anyone seen this error?

ERROR: Unable to get image filename "{IOS version}" from firmware upgrade storage

pastedImage_0.png

I thought that maybe the issue was that the files were locked. Sure enough, the files were not unblocked. I unblocked them, and ran the upgrade process again. Same error. I looked it up on the Customer Portal, and found this in the Success Center.   Success Center

It states:

NCM users sometimes get the following error when using the Firmware upgrade feature: ERROR: Unable to get Image filename "xxx" from firmware upgrade storage

Environment
Select the products and versions this article pertains too.

NCM 7.2 - EOL;NCM 7.3 - EOL;NCM 7.4 - EOL;NCM 7.5 - EOL;NCM 7.6;NCM 7.7;NCM Evaluation;NCM 7.8

Cause

The TFTP-Root folder has restrictions that prevent it from being accessed by the Firmware upgrade feature.

Resolution

Change the Firmware Upgrade Network Share on the Firmware Upgrade Storage Settings. Save the firmware in a different directory.

Fair enough, so I go look at the files and directory, and don't see any restrictions. So, I log into the switch, and run the command I copied from the Firmware Upgrade script, "copy t10.6.2.13/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-6.E2.bin flash:/"

The command works perfectly; it downloads the file from the tftp server without issue. So the problem does not seem to be an inability to access the file.

Any suggestions anyone?

• so by chance, where is the TFTP root directory pointing to for your TFTP server? if you are using the built-in SW TFTP server the default location should be something like "C:\TFTP-Root"

I've seen this issue come up because part of the job is to copy the firmware from the repository to the root directory for the TFTP server, and that function was failing. We corrected it by repairing the core services, completing the config wiz, and restarting the box.

I'd verify that the permissions for the TFTP root directory all check out, for troubleshooting purposes you may wanna just give "Everyone" read/write" access. If it's still failing try repairing the core services.

By default that TFTP root Directory should be empty and NCM transfers files in and out of it as needed, so it sounds like that bit may not be working correctly for you right now.

• Hello.

Have the same problem.

""Everyone" read/write" access" - without effect.

Please help.

• Thank you for replying christopher.t.jones123​. For some reason, I thought I replied earlier, but the message didn't post, it was saved as a draft.

Yes, the TFTP directory is c:\tftp-root. I copied the files there myself. However, I think back-then, the tftp target directory had been changed by someone (perhaps me while I wasn't thinking about what I was doing) to the c:\sftp-root directory. Anyway, I do sometimes experience the problem when the file is in the wrong directory.

rusfatman​, please check:

1. The file is in the c:\tftp-root directory.

2. The TFTP program is configured to target the c:\tftp-root directory.

3. All the APEs have the same file in the same place.

Regards, Eric

• The NCM documentation specifically says not to use the default folders, yet the script pulls the FW from those locations by default. This was pretty confusing as I was setting this up.

pastedImage_0.png

• So a little clarification on how the process works. When you kick off the firmware upgrade operation one of the first things is that it copies the firmware from the repository location into the TFTP or SFTP root location, and that's where the device downloads it from, then it removes the image from the root location after it is done.

If you are having issues with firmware transferring to the device cause it can't find the file in the root location, I would recommend investigating why that underlying task of copying it from the repo to the root location is not happening correctly.

I believe the reason they don't want you using the root location as repo location is it can mess with some of those underlying tasks

• I just ran into this issue the other day.  I had the image file in the SFTP-Root folder.  After removing it the upgrade took place as expected.

The mechanism still seems a little strange though.  Doesn't it imply that you cannot do multiple simultaneous upgrades?  (Since it would start one upgrade and then the image would be there so any subsequent job would fail until the first finished).

• If you wanted to know more about how NCM do the firmware upgrade you can, enable the session trace log.

It will generate logs how NCM takes place the firmware upgrade.

Also here some documentations for reference:

FIrmware upgrade guide

Success Center

Session trace logs

Success Center

- rodcar