Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

ERROR: Connection Refused for Nexus Switch

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I created a job in NCM to run command on cisco nexus switches, but I keep receiving error message. I have no problem to setup exact same job for catalyst switch. I also have no problem to test my login credential of the nexus switches on solarwinds. Can someone tell me why I keep getting the error message: connection refused. This is the exact error message: ERROR: Connection Refused. ​Thank you!!

In the attachment, it's the log file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 9

christopher.t.jones123achrry1​ and anyone who's interested to the answer, please check below.

After I talked to the support and even did entire server diagnosis, finally I got answer for the issue. I didn't mention I had a filter for the result. I put " * " (asterisk) in the filter section which i didn't plan to capture it as a variable, I actually wanted to capture the asterisk in the result. So that's the actual error from the report, not "connection refused" which was a misleading error from an error message. The solarwind engineer told me he will report and document it, hopefully the next solarwind update will include the fix.

Again, thank you so much for everyone spending time and trying to help me find the result!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Level 9

christopher.t.jones123achrry1​ and anyone who's interested to the answer, please check below.

After I talked to the support and even did entire server diagnosis, finally I got answer for the issue. I didn't mention I had a filter for the result. I put " * " (asterisk) in the filter section which i didn't plan to capture it as a variable, I actually wanted to capture the asterisk in the result. So that's the actual error from the report, not "connection refused" which was a misleading error from an error message. The solarwind engineer told me he will report and document it, hopefully the next solarwind update will include the fix.

Again, thank you so much for everyone spending time and trying to help me find the result!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 9

Ok so admittedly I haven't read all of the responses but it sounds like maybe you need to add your Solarwinds server IP to an ACL on the Nexus switch. We run a Nexus 7-5-2 architecture and have a standard ACL that explicitly permits the IP subnet all of our tools are on.

0 Kudos

@achrry1 Thank you for the answer. I don't think it's the ACL problem because I have no problem to test snmp string, test login and download configure automatically on solarwinds.

0 Kudos

That's really strange. Are you downloading the configs via SSH or SNMP? A Connection Refused error usually means something's blocking it either by IP or protocol.

0 Kudos

Yes, it is very strange. I'm using SSH. If you see my txt file of trace logs in my OP, solariwinds can send the command to the nexus, and nexus returned to a correct result.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I had a similar problem with a new device recently.

Try going into the 'Edit Properties' for the device and go all the way down to the bottom.

Under 'Communication', set the 'Use Keyboard Interactive Authentication' to "yes" and try again.

Not sure if this'll fix your issue, but it's possible. Can't hurt to give it a test.

0 Kudos

@bmallon Thank you for the answer. I tried and still not working. I also did combine your tip and christopher.t.jones123 tip together and test more. Still no luck.

0 Kudos

If you turn on session tracing it will give you a little more insight as to what the problem may be. Here's a KB article for turning on sessions tracing Success Center- Generate Session Trace Logs

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the tip. I ran the trace logs, but I didn't see any useful info. I didn't see any error "alert" in the txt file and I was able to see solarwinds executed my command and saved the output at the end of file. Do you know anything else I can check? Thanks.

0 Kudos

would you be able to post a stripped screenshot of the output?

0 Kudos

I attached a txt file in the original post cause I couldn't do it on this reply. I masked domain name and ip addresses.

0 Kudos

looks like that attached session trace is for when you hit "Test Credentials" on the node properties screen. Can you pull a session trace from when you attempt to download a config and it fails?

Also one thing that you may want to look at is the template that assigned to the node, if its set to Auto-Determine you may need to change it to the one for Nexus manually. I've seen that sometimes resolve inconsistent connection results (although in the session trace it does look like the auto-determine function is selecting the correct template),

0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

The attached file was the logs of the job from NCM, you can tell that it executed my command at the bottom of the logs. You were right, the first couple commands did look like the command from "test credentials". I have no problem to download the configs from those nexus switches, so I don't know how to provide you the trace. I did change auto-determine to generic cisco nexus (this is the only nexus option I found, I use NCM 7.9), but still returned the same error message in the email. I also imported two device templates, cisco nxos and cisco nexus 5010 vrf mgmt from thawck, neither of them worked. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos

soleilion​ can you briefly describe what you are trying to accomplish?

0 Kudos

I'm trying to run a command job in order to see if nexus sync to our NTP server. The command I ran is show ntp peer-status. ​For the nexus device itself, I have no problem to test snmp string, test login and download configure automatically.

0 Kudos

are you just executing a script and expecting a return? or do you want NCM to download it so that you can review it or have NCM do a compliance check against it?

I believe if you want SolarWinds to download it you'll have to create a new config type (something like NTP) then modify the device template so that it has the command, assign it to the device you would like it to run against, and then tell SW to download that config type, you'll then see a config called "NTP" that you can then open and run compliance checks against.

0 Kudos

christopher.t.jones123​ I just want to run the command and send me the report via email directly. I did the same thing for catalyst switch, and had no problem. I don't need to download it.

0 Kudos

can you show screenshots of the job you're running? and the connection profile details?

I was able to create a job that "Execute Command Script on Device" with the same command "show ntp peer-status" against a Nexus device that I have and it was able to complete correctly

0 Kudos

have you submitted a ticket to support for this?

0 Kudos

I just submitted a ticket and I will let you guys know the result. Thanks.

0 Kudos