This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Downloading Cisco CUE configurations

I have a desire to setup a custom device template to download a running config from a Cisco CUE (service module). My theory is that I can setup a new config type called CUE and then have it downloaded on the fly as needed in the web front end. Currently, we backup the configs to a FTP, which is effective, but not ideal.

Here is the crux of the issue from the device template:

<Command Name="CUE" Value="service-module service-engine 0/0 session${CRLF}Show running"/>

Now, on the device, here are the proper steps:

router# service-module service-engine 0/0 session

###banner message###

${CRLF}

router# show running

The problem I get is the 'script' gets hung up on the ${CRLF}... watching the session trace, the banner message comes up and the ${CRLF} is never processed; so the 'script' just hangs there.

Any ideas?

• Hi Zack -

I think the issue may be that you are trying to run two commands on the same line of the template. Without having a CUE to test with I can't be definite, but I'd expect the template to have two separate lines, one for the the session onto the service module then one for the config download:

01.     <Command Name="CUE" Value="service-module service-engine 0/0 session${CRLF}$"/>

02.     <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show running"/>

Or something similar?

Regards,

John

• I thought about that as well, but separating the string will remove the functionality that I am wanting.

End result should be that I create the device template and assign it to specific devices, create a custom config type on the website called 'CUE', and then I should be able to download the CUE configs at will through the web as well as review/compare them just as you would a running or startup config natively.

• I'm not sure, but I think this will still do what you want. If you take the example of the ACE Device Template created by Jiri Cvachovec at http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-170787 it pretty much does the same thing: Uses the command name "*_Context*" to select the relevant location for what you want to download (in your case "service-module service-engine etc") and then lists the various management commands to use for this device. This gives me the option to download the relevant configs from my ACE modules from the web interface:

ace context.jpg

Apologies if I'm completely misreading what you are after!!

Regards,

John