This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Download NCM config to file

Is there a way to download a config to a file from the NCM web interface?  We had a router fail and I would like to download the config as a text file so I can upload it to another router via tftp to startup-config.

• I would like to know if this is possible also...would be a very big help.

Thanks

• Well the only way I know of it now is to copy it out of the web console into a notepad file and save it then upload it.  And that way doest work the greatest because there are spaces after all the lines including the encrypted passwords making them unusable.

• How can I put in a feature request for this.

• How can I put in a feature request for this.

Post in the product-specific board under the Product Feature Requests heading (Forums » SolarWinds » Product Feature Requests); in this case, the Cirrus board.

• You can also submit a support ticket and just note it is a feature request.

• We run a scheduled task each night that saves the running and startup config of each device to a dated folder (Under the device name) on a network share. This is relatively easy to setup and may be a simple workaround for you going forward.

It's also a easier to work with if something were to ever happen to the cirrus database or database server (IE: The server room bursting into flames and taking out your network gear, reading text files from a tape is a bit easier than a database).

• That sounds like a great workaround.   Does this scheduled task run a script or batch file?   If so, can you please post the details of how you implemented.  

• We use the built-in nightly config backup tasks. In settings, under Configs->Config Archive, the Save a copy of each config...when it is downloaded option is checked.

We then use the following for naming the files:

${NodeGroup}\${Caption}\${Date}\${Caption}-${ConfigType}.Config

• Hi all.  I was curious if this is on the roadmap for the next NCM release?  There shouldbe a button on the NCM pages that says "Download Config as Text File". 

The problem with the workaround is that those configs don't get backed up somewhere, and are not accessible from the NCM website (so you can have a central permissions-based site from where to download the configs as text).

So my questions:

1) Is there a way to add an extension to the URL on the NCM website to "trick" NCM into  download a particular configuration file as text?

2) Is there any custom HTML we can create to do this on the NCM Config Details webpage to get it to do this step?   Has anyone done anything like this?  Seems maybe some crafty custom HTML might help here. 

Thanks all!!  :)

• I would be interested in knowing the status of an "export current config" button from Orion Web console.  As goofzig stated, we need a centralized permissions controlled location for config files.  Some sort of button, or custom URL to "fake" Orion would be highly useful.  This was a feature available when we used CiscoWorks.  If needed, I can submit a feature request, but did not want to do so until I got an update on this thread.

Thanks