This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Database Permissions

So, I've just recently moved my NCM and NPM database from an underpowered standalone SQL 2000 server to a SQL 2005 server running in our corporate SQL cluster.  On advice of support, I am trying to get NCM and NMP using a single user ID with rights to both databases, so our import process will work as expected.  I have a user that has DDLAdmin rights to both the NetPerfMon and ConfigMgmt DBs, but when I try to reconfigure NCM to use this user ID I get the following error in ConfigurationWizard.log:

2009-08-04 20:37:36,323 [5] DEBUG DatabaseHelper - SQL Server on "sql2k503\inst3,8192" reports its ProductVersion as "9.00.3068.00".
2009-08-04 20:37:56,049 [1] INFO  ConfigurationProgressScene - Updating Orion Network Configuration Manager database. Updating user account ...
2009-08-04 20:37:56,330 [5] DEBUG UserAccountProcessor - Adding user "SolarWinds" to role "db_owner"
2009-08-04 20:37:56,439 [5] ERROR ConfigurationProgressScene - Exception while configuring plugin Orion Network Configuration Manager Main Plugin component Orion Network Configuration Manager Database. Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: User does not have permission to perform this action.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)

<...truncated to preserve sanity...>

Is there some reason that the SQL user has to have DB_Owner rights to the database?  Our SQL DBA is not to thrilled with giving a service account login that level of access to the database.

• When you rerun the NCM Config Wizard, did you use an account with SA privileges to connect to your database.   It's fine to specify the same service account for the NCM database, but you'll need an account with more privileges to update the tables the first time.

After this initial configuration, it will leverage the service account for connection.

Let us know how that works.