This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom device template for Moxa EDS-P510 switch

Good morning, I'm working on a custom template for these menu driven switches.  When you connect on telnet the first prompt is to set terminal type as vt100 or vt 52.  The default is vt100, so you can just press enter to continue.  The next prompt is username and password.  Admin is the default user, so you can just Downarrow to the password field.  So then you enter the password and press enter to enter the switch menu.   Here is what I have so far for the template

<Configuration-Management Device="Moxa" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.8691.7.19.1">
 <Commands>
  <Command Name="RESET" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="Reboot" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="RebootAt" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="/>
  <Command Name="Startup" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="Running" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="UploadConfig" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" "/>
  <Command Name="UploadConfigIndirect" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="EraseConfig" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="SaveConfig" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="Version" Value=""/>
  <Command Name="PreCommand" Value="${CRLF}" Delay="3"/>
  <Command Name="PreCommand" Value"${Downarrow}"/>
  <Command Name="PreCommand" Value="(my password value here)${CRLF}"/>
  <Command Name="Menubased" Value="true"/>
 </Commands>

The file is named Moxa-1.3.6.1.4.1.8691.7.19.1.ConfigMgmt-Commands

After resetting server for everything to be clean, when I try to login to a device I get the "No device template for 1.3.6.1.4.1.8691.7.19.1 Device IP: x.x.x.x" 

If I then force it to use the moxa template rather than Auto, I get "unable to locate the device template Moxa"

Where am I going wrong?

Thank you.

• I have just upgraded all our 408A/508A today with new firmware V3 which supports CLI, found a few issues with NCM, but can now download configs from the integrated web interface. Would upgrading to V3 be an option in your case as I see it is listed as available for your hardware on the Moxa site?

• Yes, we have a couple here in the office we could upgrade and test.  Thanks for the tip. 

Also, you are downloading configs on these via NCM now?  I wasn't sure from your post if that is what you are doing.

Thanks.

• Yes we can download in NCM, but we did have a few issues!! When I try to download the configs manually via NCM, I get a message “cannot log into device bad password” however if you try executing the command “show running-config” it will display the config, also when hitting the download config from the web integration it will successfully download the config.

Also, when I try to validate login credentials against the device, also get the bad password message.  

Moxa tech support suspect the issue is with NCM(we are running 6.1), however he is yet to confirm.

You may also need to reboot the device after the firmware upgrade as some of our Moxa’s would not allow an SNMP connection straight after firmware upgrade.
  • Here is the template.

<!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->
    <!--Copyright 2005 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->
    <Configuration-Management Device="MOXA Switches" SystemOID="1.3.6.1.4.1.8691.7">
     <Commands>
      <Command Name="RESET" Value="terminal length 0"/>
      <Command Name="Reboot" Value="reload${CRLF}y${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="configure"/>
      <Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="exit"/>
      <Command Name="Startup" Value="startup-config"/>
      <Command Name="Running" Value="running-config"/>
      <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="copy running-config${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}${StorageFilename}${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="UploadConfig" Value="copy tftp running-config${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}${StorageFilename}${CRLF}Y${CRLF}${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${ConfigType}${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}${StorageFilename}${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="UploadConfigIndirect" Value="copy tftp running-config${CRLF}${StorageAddress}${CRLF}${StorageFilename}${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="SaveConfig" Value="save"/>
      <Command Name="Version" Value="show version"/>
      <Command Name="EnableCommand" Value="${CRLF}"/>
      <Command Name="MenuBased" Value="false"/>
     </Commands>
    </Configuration-Management>

• Ian,   thank you!   We just upgraded a device here, going to bring it in to NCM (we are also 6.1)  and see how that template works.  I'll keep you posted.

• So we are up and running in CLI mode on our test switch.   Imported into NCM, the login credentials work, but downloading fails through the console app and the web app. 

Thank you for the help, looks like we'll have to move into support from here as well to get this final piece working.

• In NCM device settings, we have the following so try setting the enable level to "enable 0", Execute scrips using "Telnet", request configs using "Telnet" and transfer configs using "TFTP"

• I will try with SSH/SCP when Moxa can tell me where they have "hidden" this feature which they currently advertise on their web site, there is not a mention of these in their CLI manual from earlier this year.

May have to wait until firmware 3.1????? 

• Also add these custom macro's

${StorageAddress} [IP of your NCM server]

${StorageFileName} config.ini

• I changed the settings to match, and also upgraded to NCM 7.0    running config downloaded perfectly through the client.