cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Configurations not being backed up

Jump to solution

Ever since I upgraded to NCM 7.5, I noticed 8% of my devices are not backed up.  I have to manually go in and do a backup on them, then they back up normally.  I have 91 nodes, that I now have to go through each one to verify they are backed up, and find those that didn't and back them up.  Is there a batch method to back them all up in one click?

1 Solution

A hotfix was released on 8/11 for NCM:

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) 7.5.0 Hotfix 2

Hotfix 2 addresses the following issue:

* Scheduled jobs not starting at the scheduled time after upgrading.

View solution in original post

35 Replies
Level 12

I just went back and checked everything and none of the devices has backed up since 7-15.  This is not good. Restarted all services just now and will check later to see if anything backed up.

0 Kudos

A hotfix was released on 8/11 for NCM:

SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager (NCM) 7.5.0 Hotfix 2

Hotfix 2 addresses the following issue:

* Scheduled jobs not starting at the scheduled time after upgrading.

View solution in original post

Did tha patch, still not working. I do not run additional pollers, just a single poller. Going to run the configuration wizard and see, if not, then open a case with SW.

0 Kudos

Strange. I am also in a single poller environment. The patch resolved my jobs not kicking off. Good luck!

0 Kudos

I am wondering if the job itself was hung. I went to jobs and found the nightly backup was stuck at running 0%. I could not disable it, but it finally disabled after I clicked stop a few times. I reconfigured the job by adding an email notification and then re-enabled it, so now it shows as scheduled, so will see if it runs tonight and again tomorrow night.

0 Kudos

OK, this has been fully resolved. It was a hung job that was the reason they weren't backing up. I also noticed that  Orion no longer saves a copy of the backup when it runs like it used to. Whenever it ran prior to 7.5, it would keep a copy of that config whether there was a change or not, so looking at the configs I could tell that it ran, but now, unless there is an actual change, it discards it like it should, and that threw me off a bit thinking it wasn't running even after seeing the job scheduled and running normally.  Now when I review I look for node that I know had changes made, and can see the date stamps is correct.  So now everything is working properly, saving configs that were changed, and not saving unchanged duplicates that fill the disk.

0 Kudos

Good to hear everything is working. Whether a copy is saved locally to disk if no changes are detected should be configurable in the job, not a change to 7.5

pastedImage_0.png

That is what I found. I had either checked it, or it got checked when upgraded. Once I discovered that, then it all fell into place that is was working properly.  I had to kill the job, disable it, then re-enable it, after that it started to run properly. Thats what the issue was, just took me a while to figure out why only a few devices were updating, then I found that checkbox, and said, OH, ok thats why.

0 Kudos

NCM 7.5.0 Hotfix 2 says in the readme to "Only replace the "SolarWinds.Cirrus.BusinessLayer.dll" file on the main polling engine."  Like others here, our main polling engine is working correctly, but none of the additional pollers are able to launch their backups. 

Are we meant to apply HotFix 2 on the additional polling engines after all?

When I applied this, I did NOT apply to any of our additional polling engines.  The hotfix didn't seem to help anyway after I applied it. 

I have gotten polling working again after opening a ticket with SW support.  What we ended up doing after applying the hotfix was uninstalling the Orion Improvement Program from the additional polling engines.  This required us to run the Configuration Wizard on both of the APE's and the Orion server.  After all servers had run the Wizard, jobs have been completing as they should be.  Don't know if this is the true fix or if we were an isolated case.

it's not -- Matthew figured it out here and we got it working just. I'll let him share what he did

Comments:

1. Solarwinds programmers need to learn how to spell; there is nothing so bad as reading logfiles with spelling mistakes in them

2. QA needs to check the spelling of log messages; they also need to check the NCM additional poller works. I honestly don't think their test cases cover this.

3. NCM logging needs a DEEP overhaul.

specifically the different log levels are either feast or famine, with NO indication what failed in either case.

i.e. even if you run with Verbose or Debug logging it was impossible to tell why the jobs on additional polling engines were not starting

0 Kudos

Mathew2016,

I didn't see the OP state that they were in a multi-poller environment. I only have a single poller, so I can't speak to what to do in that situation, since I am not familiar with the integration each poller has with the primary. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Josh

0 Kudos

Success!   This link below explains the issue and it did solve the problem for us.  The 2 missing files were present on the Main Poller but not on any of our additional pollers.  A very helpful Solarwinds support technician directed me to this link.....

NCM jobs stop working or hang after upgrade to NCM 7.5 - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

I did have to restart the Orion services after copying these files from the Main poller to the appropriate location on all of the pollers. 

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolarWinds\Collector\Plugins\NCM.SubJob.Creator.plugin

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolarWinds\Collector\Plugins\NCM.SubJob.Transfer.plugin

Level 10

Since upgrading to NCM 7.5, only devices polled by our main Orion server are backed up. Nothing is being collected by the additional polling servers. SW Support said to uninstall the Orion Improvement Program from the additional polling servers, however OIP is only on the main Orion servers. OIP is the culprit? Really? We have about 500 devices to back up.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Well the solution to my problem may have been to restart all orion services on the additional poller.  After doing so, my test config backup worked, so now I'm trying out my full backup.

0 Kudos

So all settled down after the weekend since the services restart?

0 Kudos

Yes, since restarting the services on the additional polling server it has been working properly again.

Hi All

I'm currently experiencing the same issue whereby after we have upgraded NCM to version 7.5,  the job scheduled to back-up configuration is no longer running.  I have created Running and Startup Configs job separately and still not running

0 Kudos
Level 13

what kind of devices are the ones failing that do work when you manually back them up.

This sounds similar to an issue I struck on NCM v7.4.1 with Wireless APs/WLCs, with special characters in the first 4 lines of config.

"If none of the first four lines starts with “:”, “!”, “#”, or “config {”, then it's a known problem introduced in NCM 7.4.1"

I don't have any WLCs or APs on my Dev NPMv12 with NCM7.5 instance, so unable to confirm if that issue has re-appeared that was fixed by a previous HotFix..

Have a read here: Upgraded NCM 7.4.1 Now Overnight Job failing - Got Wireless devices?

Also post your Case id - cvachovecj​ can confirm if you are hitting a known / new issue after confirming the devices failing.

Hope it's sorted for you soon or already resolved

0 Kudos