This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Config comparison with Nexus 1000v switches

Morning all,

Has anyone had any success or experience with writing suitable comparison criteria for Cisco Nexus 1000v switches? As these are controlled by our vCenter install, the vEthernet interfaces are created and torn down dynamically, which needless to say causes havoc with the running/startup/baseline comparison reports. I'd like to write a criteria to ignore all the lines indented after a interface Vethernet x line and that line itself:

N1000v Comparison.jpg

In the example above, I'd like to ignore lines 0367 - 0371, however just setting an ignore on the commands wouldn't work as it would ignore most of the config I do want to compare. Any ideas?

Regards,

John

• John,

I believe you can create very specific ignore rules that will do this.  Try adding these rules:

^interface Vethernet7

^inherit port-profile SYSTEM-VLAN301

^description UOS-BBAS-03,Network Adapter 1

^vmware dvport 3250 dvswitch uuid "56 7d 0d 50 91 52 54 fc-77 36 65 dd 2c 7f 54 05"

^vmware wm mac0050.568D.059E

These 5 rules will only ignore lines that begin with this specified text.  However I do not know if this will work for you being that these interfaces are being created and destroyed dynamically.  For example this first ignore rule will only ignore lines that begin with  "interface Vethernet7"  If it is a Vethernet8, that would not be ignored.

• Hi Andy -

Thanks for the response, I've been playing around with similar settings to the ones you've suggested, but because some of the lines are of interest for other types of interface (i.e. description XXXXXXX can apply to the static trunk and ethernet interfaces as well as the dynamic Vethernet ones) I can't hit a happy balance between ignoring the "right" amount of config and ignoring pretty much everything in the config emoticons_sad.png. To add to the issues, there are some Vethernet interfaces that I am interested in comparing (those used for VMKernel connectivity etc). I might raise a development request for it.

Regards,

John

• Hi John,

Did you find a workable solution yet? I have the same situation over here...

• Afraid not, must admit I just gave up in frustration and accepted that these configs will always be "dynamic" emoticons_plain.png