This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Config change templates, NCM User permission

I am building a few config change templates but I do not want all user to have access to all the templates, it seems that the users have access to run all the scripts that I have configured or imported.

For example I would like to allow the service desk to start some debugging on devices but not change the enable passwords on all the routers.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

-Helgi Már

• Not possible today within the product, but we will log this as a feature request.  Just curious, but what kind of debug would you like to run against the devices?  Are you wanting to give the users the ability to issue some show commmands, like 'show tech' for example? 

• The first  case is to allow the support desk to enable netflow, the change approval would slow down the process and if netflow is done incorrectly it wont brake anything, since I have done it in a way that they only need to pick the interfaces.

The feature request could be allowing "pre-approved" requests.

• Thank you for the additional feedback.  Question as I'm the PM for our Netflow product too.  Do you use SolarWinds NTA or another flow solution?  How often do you configure devices to send netflow data?

• No problem at all!

We are an MSP using Solarwinds NTA and we are monitoring about 1.100 devices for small buisnessess on this Solarwinds deployment, we do not need all of those devices in Netflow all of the time, even though some of them are.

What the support desk would do is add a device to netflow monitoring for a few days or weeks to analyze both the current usage of the customer both for debugging and for upsell opportunities, we have yet to find a way to automate the removal of the Netflow config emoticons_happy.png

I estimate that we currently add from 10-20 devices a week for this purpose, I assume that this number would increase if the support desk has easier access to do this and that would help us in providing better service.

-Helgi Már

• Awesome.  Thank you for the additional information---extremely helpful.

• This would be a really helpful feature.  We would like it as well.  I think adding a view limitation by "Tag" would probably work for us. 

We have a set of "Approved" scripts for our helpdesk to run against our devices (bounce a port, etc.)