This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Config change template

I am interested to run a config change template on a couple of thousand Cisco Catalyst switches.

The default config change templates were created for old Catalyst 2950 switches and when I try executing these on Catalyst 2960X-switches the scripts seems to fail.

Are there more recent config change templates for this purpose available?

More exactly what I would like to achieve is to add a line of interface config on all interfaces which are configured with a certain description string.

Thanks.

• Hi  

You probably need to share what are trying to change...

I personally never use the CCT that’s bad network management.

There isn’t any control if the device compiled the input and no understanding if the change is needed at all with CCT.

Try to take a look on the compliance engine that will at least change only the device’s 

that missing the statement...

• Thank you for answering.

I would like to change the following: For all interfaces with description containing "Wifi", I would  like to add the following config line:

"switchport trunk allowed vlan add 123"

• I did something similar for our wifi interfaces using the "Compliance" section of NCM, not the config change templates.
    Assuming you're using NCM to backup the configs, this will work.
    The Compliance report searches through all interfaces that match what you're looking for, then "remediates" with the new config line.

• Go to Network Configuration > Compliance > Manage Policy Reports
    • Click on Manage Rules > Add New Rule
      1.JPG

• Fill in the following:

2.JPG

This will search for the string "Wifi" - this must be exact to how it is in your interface description
      The Config Block is needed to essentially tell NCM to repeat for each interface found, not just the first hit.
      The start of the block is ^interface \D+\d+((/\d+)+(\.\d+)?)?
      The end of the block is !
      From memory, this will search all interfaces, regardless of type and number i.e. FastEthernet, GigabitEthernet, TenGigabitEthernet etc.
      The Remediation script is what you want to add when "Wifi" is found within a config block.
      Use the Test button on a node to see if it'll find what you're looking for.
      Submit when happy.

• Go to Manage Policies > Add New Policy
      1.JPG

Pick what nodes you want this to run against and add the new Rule you just created in the previous step to the policy

• Go to Manage Reports > Add New Report
      1.JPG

Add the Policy you just created to a report.

Once done, you can go back to Network Configuration > Compliance
    Select the new report and click "Update Selected"
    Click "View Report" when complete. This should show you every node that had at least one match in your Rule.
    Something like this:
    1.JPG
    Click on the "rule violation" symbol (circled in blue above) to view a violation. You can confirm it has picked up the correct thing
    If you're happy the report has identified all Wifi interfaces, click to Execute the Remediation Script, either on the node or every node in the report.
    1.JPG

That should be it!
    This doesnt do a copy run start afterwards, but you can create an NCM job to do that for you anyway

• Awesome! I've testet it and it does exactly what I need. Thank you so much for your answers guys!

• Thank you so much for the thorough description! It helped me a lot!