Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Config Alerting

Jump to solution

Hello my fellow Thwackians,

Just have a general question. I know Solarwinds can create alerts for interfaces and can store and compare configs of the devices it is monitoring; but can it create an alert off of something that may have a different config then lets say a default set config.

For example. Lets say I wanted to make sure that every Cisco device in my network had the same exec-timeout configuration on the console and VTY lines on EVERY Cisco device.

Is there a way for Solarwinds to look through the configs of devices and compare them to  a standard set config and if a device doesn't match in a certain area of the config, it will trigger an alert to be sent?

These are things that would make my life easier instead of spending hours sifting through configs everyweek.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 11

Hi,

the Solarwinds NCM Module is what you are looking for. Your use case is covered by multiple functions of the NCM.

Easiest way would be the Baseline feature. You paste in a complete config or a config snippet (or even single lines) and apply them to your nodes. Then the NCM will show you a list of nodes which violate your defined baseline.

Establish baselines as a comparison point for network config changes

Another way would compliance policy reports. The compliance reports needs a little bit more effort to configure, but gives you also the ability not only to report on violations, NCM would also be able to fix it by itself. I use this remedation scripts to execute fixes for easy tasks like in your example, setting the correct exec-timeout.

About NCM policy reports

Best Regards

Rene

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

As mentioned compliance reports are the way to go. You just search for a string and it will report back on it.

So it's not an alert as such, it's a report you use for what you'd like to achieve.

You can also run jobs where you can execute a command on all your devices such as 'show ntp associations' and then you can look through the results to see if any of the devices don't have ntp configured correctly. NCM is a top tool.

Level 11

Hi,

the Solarwinds NCM Module is what you are looking for. Your use case is covered by multiple functions of the NCM.

Easiest way would be the Baseline feature. You paste in a complete config or a config snippet (or even single lines) and apply them to your nodes. Then the NCM will show you a list of nodes which violate your defined baseline.

Establish baselines as a comparison point for network config changes

Another way would compliance policy reports. The compliance reports needs a little bit more effort to configure, but gives you also the ability not only to report on violations, NCM would also be able to fix it by itself. I use this remedation scripts to execute fixes for easy tasks like in your example, setting the correct exec-timeout.

About NCM policy reports

Best Regards

Rene

View solution in original post

0 Kudos