This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco reports for PSIRT affected items and EoL/EoS

Have you guys ever thought of providing a subscription service to allow for automated reports based on PSIRT, Field Notices and EoL/EoS notices? We would find these report very valuable to our organization to know when a new PSIRT alert comes out that specific items are affected by it based on the variables in the PSIRT notification. Our only option right now appears to be Cisco Works LMS to provide this functionality.

Just a thought,

Mike

• That's a great idea.  We'll reach out to our Cisco contacts to determine if this API is public for 3rd party integration.

If there are others interested in this feature, please chime in to help us prioritize!

Thanks,

• This would be a huge value and a great selling point.

• You might also check with http://www.parinetworks.com/trial/pnat.htm

• Want to know about your network devices?
    • Want to know their life cycle posture?
    • Want to know the potential security risks associated with them
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to chris.lapoint

This would be an excellent feature and definitely a selling point.

How nice would it be to pull a report from NCM that list EoS/EoL dates for your entire inventory? And one step further (as suggested by the original post), whether the version of code is subject to a PSIRT.

Chris-

I'm not sure that there's an API, per se, as the EoS/EoL notices are typically static pages posted by Cisco (unfortunately not in one place, either).

• I really like this idea and we're talking about it in house. Thank you all very much for the input. 

--Christine

• This one just came up in our staff meeting this week as we are looking at decomissioning CiscoWorks.  Three items came up that we need, but do not have with Orion.

• Chassis View.  The ability to see a graphic representation of the device, including any installed modules or interfaces.  We realize the challenge here- but hey, you guys are good at that.
    • EOS/EOL.  With thousands of devices in nooks and crannies around the globe (plus an overly aggressive EOS policy), something's almost always on the way out, and the time to learn of it is not when you call for support.  This would be a major plus for us.
    • User tracking.  Realize this has some support in Configuration Manager, which we will demo soon.

Any one of these has a large impact, all three are a dinosaur killer. 

Steve Extrand

Sr Network Analyst

(1) Orion v10 SLX polling engine & Additional Web Server 25500 elements

(2) Orion v10 SLX polling engine

(3) NTA v7 786 interfaces

(3) IPSLA SLAX

• Hi Steve - 

On item 1 - depending on where you are thinking you'd want that - you could use the custom HTML resource to add a graphic. 

Item 2 - we've been looking in to adding this. Are you looking more for something to automatically retrieve this information or just a place to input and store it in your inventory reports? 

Item 3 - user tracking - yes, we have gotten lots of requests for this and this is something we have some support for and will be working on further as well. 

Let me know if you'd like to have a call about any of these - I'd love to get your insight. Just pm me or write me at christine.bentsen@solarwinds.com.

--Christine

• Christine, can you elaborate a bit more on #1?

What Steve is looking for is exactly what we are interested in as well.

• Here's a KB on it - http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/1862/How+do+I+display+an+embedded+Web+page+into+Orion%3F

It works the same way for NCM. This resource allows you to show an html page as a resource in your Orion application. You can show an image too. Again, this may not be what you have in mind, but it might get you part of the way there. 

--Christine

• Thanks for the info Christine.

I think we were looking more for what was suggested in the following post.

I do like the custom html resource though, that is something that we can use in other areas.