This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco Nexus Serial number

We are trying to find a way to pull the serial number for Cisco Nexus 5548 devices as well as other Nexus products via SNMP.  NCM currently uses the entity mib to pull serial numbers and this doesn't work on Nexus devices.  So we want to build a Universal poller to pull this info.  Long term we'd like NCM to pull it

• Ok after a lot of research and a back forth with Solarwinds support, the Nexus devices store the serial number in a different place in the mib than other Cisco devices.  Solarwinds has not cracked the code yet, but I have.  Here goes.  The data is stored in  MIB is 1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11  which is entPhysicalSerialNum.  However, for a Nexus device the actuall chassis serial number shows up in two places under the table that shows all the device and card serial numbers, index 149 which is the chassis and index 10 which is the fabric or backplane.  I have tested this on Cisco 7018 and Cisco 5548 devices in our network.  At this time there is no real way that I have found to get at that information using the NCM.  I shot this info back to Solarwinds in the hopes that development will use this information to update the NCM Reporting serial number resources to look this up when the device IOS is NOX.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to jeffnorton

Create a custom field, put in the serial there.  That's the best option currently for Nexus devices.

• I've sort of come to the same conclusion myself.  I've opened a case with development to see if I can get this on the roadmap.  It's a shame there is not enough flexibility in the NCM report builder

• Create a feature request on here that we can vote on.  Hopefully that'll get the request more visibilty and priority.