This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco Nexus 5K - Intermittent login failures

We are experiencing intermittent login failures to our Nexus 5020's.  We have 6 of these devices on our network and some days they all backup and other days all but one or two will backup.  It's never the same ones and it's not every night.

Has anyone else seen this?

ERROR: Cannot download Running config : Unable to Log into Router : Timeout. Device IP: x.x.x.x

Dave Baughn

Wellmont Health System

• I have 4 5ks and have never seen this issue.  I am not saying you do not have an issue, just letting you know it does not seem to be a universal problem.

• What NX-OS version are you running?

• Having the same issue on 7Ks running 5.1.3 but not on 5Ks running 5.0.3.N1.  The intermittant login failures only happen if device type is Cisco.NXOS.  If Cisco.Switch.IOS is selected as device type on the 7Ks, the failures do not occur.  Our TACACS logs do not indicate a failed attempt was made which makes me think the 7K is not being signaled to authenticate.

• We're still monitoring this issue. 

Here are the changes we have made in NCM to solve the issue:

1. increase the Connection Timeout to 5-minutes under NCM Settings, Telnet/SSH Settings.

• change the Communication for Nexus devices from Telnet to SSHv2 for "Execute Scripts", "Request Configs" and "Transfer Configs".

• run the "Purge Old Configs from Database".  (We chose to keep just the last 30 days)

Dave Baughn, CCNA
    Network Engineer II
    Wellmont Health System