This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco ASA and NCM 7.8

We recently upgraded to NCM 7.8 and since then , the config download of ASA devices is not working.

Strangely, 3-4 devices are working as expected and the remaining ASA devices are not backing up,

• are they single context?

have you tried manually defining the device template?

have you turned on session tracing and looked to see what the device is doing during the backup?

• They are single context.

I tried to test . And observed that logs that they are logging in successfully . But after the prompt instead of typing enable , the username is getting typed and that's why the error . But for some other Asa , it's okay . It's correctly typing enable and then proceeding.

• are there any differences between the ones that are working and the ones that aren't, such as the assigned device template?

• I compared two devices with same hardware and OS .

Both of them I tested using same templates.

One device correctly logs in and enters enable and enable password whereas the non working one logs in and types the username instead of typing enable .

• are the assigned templates set to "Auto-Determine"?

• I tried using the same template also .

When using the same template , one device goes into enable while the other one is not getting into enable mode .

Is there some issue with banner or any config ?  I suspect the prompt some timing issue.

• can you post screenshots of the session trace (stripped of organizational information)?

NCM doesn't initiate commands based off of timing, it usually issues it based off characters found in the prompt. I'm beginning to think that on the ones where it is working they are returning the ">" character indicating that NCM should use the enable command to move forward, but on the ones that are not working the device is either not returning ">" or NCM is having an issue reading it making NCM think it has to attempt a login again.

• This is what is happening in the non working device

---- Connection Profile: nwncm-ssh2 -----

Device Template: Copy of Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance X - act

WARNING:

.ACCESS TO INFORMATION ON THIS MACHINE AND NETWORK IS RESTRICTED TO AUTHORISED

PERSONNEL ONLY. ANY UNAUTHORISED USER IS SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION

UNDER THE COMPUTER MISUSE AND CYBERSECURITY ACT (CAP. 50A).

WARNING:

ACCESS TO INFORMATION ON THIS MACHINE AND NETWORK IS RESTRICTED TO AUTHORISED

PERSONNEL ONLY. ANY UNAUTHORISED USER IS SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION

UNDER THE COMPUTER MISUSE AND CYBERSECURITY ACT (CAP. 50A).

Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.

tpccc-opsdc-asa01a-b/pri/act>

nwncm

nwncm

^

ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

terminal pager 0

terminal pager 0

^

show version

show version

The working device is as follows:

---- Connection Profile: nwncm-ssh2 -----

Device Template: Cisco IOS

Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby>

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby>

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby>

enable

e

nable

Password:

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby#

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby#

terminal width 0

t

erminal width 0

^

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby#

terminal length 0

terminal length 0

^

st2bldg-cctv-asa01/stby#

show version

-----------------------

you are correct. Thats the exact issue we are facing.

• they are using two different device templates, what happens when you change the non-working one to use "Cisco IOS"? Cisco IOS is the template that the working one used in you example above

• I tried using the same template also .

It's the same error which we get .

Not sure if some config like banner or any other specific config is causing this issue.