This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco ASA Firewall - anyone have real time change alerts working for NCM?

I need help in defining syslog message alerts configuration and any additional configuration required to get this working. I have found one other post on here with some configurations that does not work

Please help...

emoticons_happy.png

• I was able to get it working via Trap rules, instead of syslog. I can't remember if I attempted a syslog first, or if I went straight to the trap rule. 

For the trap rule, I left everything default except for the "trap Details" tab. It took a little testing, and watching the traps to see what info was sent when a config change was made. Here is the Trap Details Pattern that seems to work for me:

*end configuration*,*Begin configuration:*reading from http [POST]*      (Use Regular Expressions is Unchecked)

and of course I had to create an Alert action to trigger the download, just like you would with a syslog rule.

Hope that helps.

• I have been trying to enable SNMP access on the ASA firewalls but can only get read access.  Is there a way make it read/write access, perhaps through ASDM?  Sorry for asking the question here but it is a predecessor to your question.

• Why would you want to allow SNMP management of an ASA?  

• For SolarWinds to use for polling and also download configs, but the only way I know of to do that is with SNMP R/W access.  Is there another way?

• Solarwinds logs in with SSH (also telnet but don't use telnet) to download configs.    You only need read only access for polling.   R/W access is ok for managing switches if you aren't a CLI person.   However, even for switches I would rather use https or ssh. 

SNMP is easy on ASA from the CLI.

snmp-server host inside <IP of NCM server> community <String other than public>

snmp-server host inside 10.15.61.244 version 3 npm.itc.local

snmp-server host inside 10.15.61.245 version 3 npm.itc.local

*** For Change detection

snmp-server enable traps syslog

snmp-server enable traps entity config-change

logging host inside <IP of NCM server>

Even if you send logs to another server, for change detection you are going to need to log to NCM.

This works beautifully for me.