This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can I use NCM or NPM to discover devices on my network using CDP?

I'm not getting my hopes up here, but I'm hoping someone can explain to me how to discover the routers and switches on my network via CDP.  I have discovered the majority of my network (it's rather large) by scanning my management network IP space and using SNMP.  The problem is that I know that there are devices out there that don't have SNMP configured, and to make matters worse, they are not on my network map.  If I could use NCM or NPM (I have both) to use CDP to discover these boxes, I could start the process of trying to get them set up with SNMP.  Any ideas?  

• NCM and NPM don't use CDP to Discover they use ICMP and SNMP. You can use Orion to discover nodes, it uses ICMP so as long as you can ping it it will show up. It it doesn't have SNMP then it will show up as unknown.

• I figured out a way to export the majority of our managed nodes into NCM via export from Kiwi CatTools.  Now I have a different problem...  I can't seem to figure out a way to sync NCM to NPM (ie NCM has 500 nodes and NPM has 300).  NCM has an export feature, but it's greyed out (I'm logged in as the Administrator for the program).  Any suggestions there?  I could like to push directly from NCM to NPM, but from everything I've read it is not possible to do it automatically.  I'd be find with doing an export/import between the two (or even from Kiwi CatTools direct to NPM), but I can't see a way to do it.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

• You can export the nodes with IP addresses from NCM to a text file. Then, use the Specific Nodes option in NPM network Discovery. Populate the list of nodes from the text file. One IP address per line, then complete the discovery.

After that, you can use the default job in NCM to keep the two databases synchronized continuously.

Hope that helps.