cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Backup PFSense Configuration

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have recently implemented 20 PFSense devices onto my network and would like to automatically back them up with Solarwinds, is anyone doing it and if so how can I approach completing the following?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

I am afraid that the pfsense boxes don't offer the way NCM works to back up a config directly so you need to tweak a bit.

to my knowledge pfsense stores the backup as an xml file in /cf/conf/backup. You would need to find a way to present this xml file as a text output to NCM. e.g. cat this to the console.

The way NCM is taking a backup is the following:

- logging in to the device via SSH or Telnet.

- Issue a command to "show" the config

- parsing the output to gather all the lines.

There has been a thread back in the days in the KIWI Forum where someone created a template using the "cat" command  Backing up a PFSense Firewall over SSH using Generic.Device

the starting point for you would be the creation of a new device template: -> Settings -> All Settings -> manage Device templates -> add new

hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply

I am afraid that the pfsense boxes don't offer the way NCM works to back up a config directly so you need to tweak a bit.

to my knowledge pfsense stores the backup as an xml file in /cf/conf/backup. You would need to find a way to present this xml file as a text output to NCM. e.g. cat this to the console.

The way NCM is taking a backup is the following:

- logging in to the device via SSH or Telnet.

- Issue a command to "show" the config

- parsing the output to gather all the lines.

There has been a thread back in the days in the KIWI Forum where someone created a template using the "cat" command  Backing up a PFSense Firewall over SSH using Generic.Device

the starting point for you would be the creation of a new device template: -> Settings -> All Settings -> manage Device templates -> add new

hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos