This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Backing up Riverbed Configs

FormerMember
FormerMember

Has anyone tried backing up Riverbed Configs in Cirrus?

We have added the device in Cirrus back it cannot validate the SNMP details...

Riverbed is configured correctly also.

• Just to clarify, are you trying to download configs using SNMP and TFTP from Riverbed?   If so, I don't believe Riverbed devices support the Cisco MIB we leverage for setting up TFTP transfers via SNMP.    You'll have to use Telnet/Telnet or Telnet/TFTP.    I'll send you a private email with draft of a tech ref we're working on for creating device templates.   I'd like see how this works for a test group of users before we publish more broadly.

• We have Riverbeds too....I haven't look at backing them up yet.  If you have success please let me know as well.

Thanks.

BB
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to BryanBecker

Ditto here - we have the CMC but a backup of that would be useful as well since they are in different sites.

• Not sure if this will help, since I got it close to working but no cigar (yet). Here's a template for Riverbeds, I named the file:  \Program Files\SolarWinds\Configuration Management\DeviceTypes\Riverbed_032008-1.3.6.1.4.1.17163.ConfigMgmt-Commands   and it contains the text pasted below.  Cirrus actually runs the command and I see the whole config on the error details, but Cirrus doesn't save it.  I believe that 'sbecause the config itself contains several lines with only ##  (two pound symbols together).  Cirrus has issues recognizing when the config actually ends, and the ## is not something that can be removed from the config, that's what Riverbed uses to separate sections within the config.  I think I'm close, but no cigar.

<!-- edited with XML Spy v4.4 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Dan A. Wendeln (Solarwinds.Net) -->
    <!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->
    <!--Copyright 2005 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->
    <Configuration-Management Device="NBT Technology, Inc" SystemOID="1.3.6.1.4.1.17163">
        <Commands>
            <Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="config t"/>
            <Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="exit"/>
            <Command Name="Startup" Value="startup-config"/>
            <Command Name="Running" Value="running-config"/>
            <Command Name="DownloadConfig2" Value="show ${Running}"/>
            <Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="no cli session paging enable${CRLF}show ${Running}"/>
            <Command Name="SaveConfig" Value="write memory"/>
            <Command Name="Version" Value="show version"/>
            <Command Name="EnableIdentifier" Value=" # "/>
        </Commands>
    </Configuration-Management>

• Goofyzig, you rock!   I've been trying to get this to work for a while now with our Steelhead in our lab and the last remaining step was knowing the "no cli session paging enable" command.   The "##" isn't an issue for Cirrus.  I've got this working now thanks to your help. 

Download device template here:  

Let me know how this works for you!

•  Hey THANKS CHRIS!!  That worked on all Riverbed Steelheads.  Team effort, I LOVE IT.  THANKS!!! 

Technical discussion:  I compared your config with the one I made, and I can see the changes you made, but based on the Cirrus documentation can't understand why yours works and mine doesn't.  In fact, I thoroughly read the Admin Guide section on  this, as well as the CirrusDeviceCommandTemplates tech ref document from 2/19/2008, and I dont think it mentions why/how this RESET value is used.  I also note the use of the <Command Name="VitualPrompt" Value="*&gt;"/> (HTML here is editing the value, which should be * & g t ; ). I understand from one of your previous postings (on a separate thread) that VirtualPrompt is a POSIX regular expression substitute for the prompt in this case??  I know regex's, but confused on what  * & g t ; is  supposed to look for in this case?    Seems the & g t ;  gets translated into the greater than sign ">", so is the regex using HTML translation as well??  that confuses things a bit.  

It seems more documentation is needed to understand the process the SSH/Telnet client goes through, which commands/variables does it step through when a user selects "Download Configs" for a particular device, for example, as well as how to use these regex variables (is it truly POSIX regex's, or is HTML stuff involved?), and which variables are able to accept regex's.    I can't seem to find useful technical literature on that process or these variables.

I ask because I am trying to get Cirrus to work on a few Linux-based devices, and I think I am running into similar issues where understanding these things would help solve the issue(s).  If you have any further literature, or if you can shed some light on why you put that command on the ${RESET} variable instead of the ${DownloadConfig} variable, I would very much like to understand for future reference.

Thanks again.

• Awesome!  Let me know if you're able to get upload or scripts working as well.   I haven't tried those functions, but our QA group is checking those out now so we can ship this as an OOTB template in our next version.

I compared your config with the one I made, and I can see the changes you made, but based on the Cirrus documentation can't understand why yours works and mine doesn't.

I think the key difference was the use of the VirtualPrompt.   

n fact, I thoroughly read the Admin Guide section on  this, as well as the CirrusDeviceCommandTemplates tech ref document from 2/19/2008, and I dont think it mentions why/how this RESET value is used.   It seems more documentation is needed to understand the process the SSH/Telnet client goes through, which commands/variables does it step through when a user selects "Download Configs" for a particular device, for example.    I can't seem to find useful technical literature on that process. I am trying to get Cirrus to work on a few Linux-based devices, and I think I might run into similar issues.  If you have any further literature, or if you can shed some light on why you put that command on the ${RESET} variable instead of the ${DownloadConfig} variable, I would very much like to understand for future reference.

You're absolutely right on the need for more documentation.  We're investing a lot of effort as part our next release to document more of the Cirrus state machine and make this more transparent to our customers.  

The RESET variable actually sets up the terminal so it doesn't page when viewing the configuration.  For example, in the Cisco IOS template, you'll notice the following line:

<Command Name="RESET" Value="terminal width 0${CRLF}terminal length 0"/>

There's no reason why you couldn't have put that command in the DownloadConfig variable.  The advantage of having in RESET is that it runs regardless of the command being executed (script, upload, download) and ensures that paging doesn't disrupt Cirrus interaction.   This is especially important for direct transfer methods (e.g. Telnet/Telnet, SSH/SSH) because Cirrus reads the config line by line from the terminal.  

You'll notice if you click the Verify Login Information button in Cirrus, it will always execute the associated RESET commands for that device after login before sending any additional commands.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to chris.lapoint

Verified over SSH... great job everyone. Now if we could fix the ##### issue...

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to chris.lapoint

I have found the Riverbed Template you guys have been discussing in the downloads area. I have downloaded it and saved it to what I though was the right place...granted I have not read the admin guide about the templates...in the device types subfolder without the file extension, like the others. When I am in Cirrus and I click on the Device Type filed, I cannot get this template to come up in the list.

Can you give me a couple of quick hints....or refer me to the technical documentation?

Thanks,

S

• You will need to restart your Cirrus console in order for the Device Template to be listed in the drop down list.

However if the SystemOID of the device you are managing matches the SystemOID in the template, then you do not have to explicitly specify the template in the UI.