This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Backing up Nexus 7k's

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi all,

I have been browsing around looking for a template or any detailed information on how people are backing up their Nexus gear. I haven't been able to find anything that points me in the right direction.

I am looking to backup my 7k's on a nightly basis. How do you go about this? Do you script this to login to mgmt then issue the "switchto" vdc command or what?

Any templates or information would be appreciated

• I've added my VDC in as a separate node. That way they all get backed up separately and I use no special scrips.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to superfly

I'm really in need of some details. I'm not big on Solarwinds, add the VDC to NCM is fine. Configuring a backup is where I am at a loss. I will be looking around trying to figure that out. If you have a link or details on the process, please let me know.

*Edit*

I cannot seem to get a backup job to run, I schedule it but it never runs. Went into the NCM settings on the device, created a profile with credentials, tested successfully from web page. Set a backup job for 30 minutes in advance, it never runs. wtf?

• there is a table in the configmgmt db, I think it is NCM jobs or similar.  It shows all of the jobs within NCM, is the job showing enabled in there?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to automag928

Yes, from network configuration manager, I go to schedule->display/edit jobs-> and from here I see the list of jobs and my Test job is enabled and "scheduled" but never runs.

I scheduled it for 2:05 around 20 minutes ago..see if it runs in 5 minutes but from what I have seen I doubt it will. Why is this such a PITA?

*Edit*

As before, it did nothing...people actually pay for this product?

• Ok  - trying to help you here - Did you look ConfigMgmt DB itself, using SQL mgmt studio or even the database manager built into SW, look through the tables, one is labeled NCM_NCMJobs.  Query that table and look for your NCM Job name, scroll over to the enabled column and does it say 1 or 0?  Try re-running the NCM COnfigruation Wizard, and see if that helps.  What version NCM are you using - I'm assuming you are all up to date?  Could your times be off in your DB as compared to your NCM server, assuming they are on different machines?

• FormerMember

I am going to have the DB team look for that..until then my hands are tied..the job is scheduled to kick off at 3PM CST, I scheduled it 30+ minutes ago.

• You can tell the job to log results.  Does the log tell you anything?

• do you have access to the NCM server directly?  Can you open up the database manager on there? its built in and may save you time.  Is this just specific to your nexus gear, or do you have other devices that are failing config download jobs?  FWIW - I have over 100 Nexus devices being managed, all are using the canned config backup jobs successfully - nothing special setup.  But I also have 6500s, 2811s, etc ,and they are also fine.  Just trying to discern if its specific to one device type causing problems.

• FormerMember

I configured some 7k's and am trying to test backing them up. The client has "all nodes" selected for backup but the logs are riddled with failures.

The DB is on a secondary server managed by a different team. I have direct access to the Orion server. I have enabled logging under NCM Settings->Advanced->Advanced Settings

Enabled Scheduled Jobs and Security

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to wiszm23

I'm logging now, have scheduled the Test to run in 15 minutes. Also just heard back from DB team, the "Test" job I have created is enabled and running