This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Are you KIDDING ME.....!!!

FormerMember
FormerMember

Is there any way to create an alert for a group that I have created in NCM? I pulling my hair out on how to do this. I have tried both the Basic and Advanced Alert Manager. Even had a Solarwinds S-Rep help add he could not figure it out. This is insane! For a product that cost this much it should be easy to do this. I have watch video upon video and read article upon article trying to find a "simple", like PRTG (notice how I quoted the word simple. Hopefully Solarwinds reps are reading this and get the idea that they need to make their product simple) way to do this.

I have been in this field for nearly 15 years and never seen a product that is so bloated with add-ons, SQL configs (which is slow on retrieving historical data) and just general interface ****. This product was designed to be difficult so that you will buy into their Professional Services. ROI is dependent on TCO. PRTG is one third the cost and can do anything the Solarwinds Orion can do and in a single pane of glass. I have spent nearly 40+ hours working on getting basic alerting to work to some capacity and my PRTG (trial of course) is up an running monitoring everything in my environment with alerts and dependencies. It took me half a day to setup and configure PRTG. I had a co-worker who never saw PRTG let alone heard of it and he was able to figure it out in minutes. No jumping around the web interface and logging into your SAM server to make adjustments. The PRTG for Android / iOS is also free, Solarwinds Mobile Admin, $670 per seat. SLAP!

This product is clearly way over rated and people are falling for their marketing. I doubt very much that I will renew come later this year. Oh, and just their renewal fee would pay for PRTG (unlimited) and maintenance for one year. WOW! Can I say it again, ROI is dependent on TCO! Please note that I had several other admins and engineers try to do what I am requesting and they are besides them selves. Thank you listening to my rant hope it has been enjoyable.

• Your question, "Is there any way to create an alert for a group that I have created in NCM?" is very vague. What type of alert? What do you want to accomplish? The post reads a lot more like you just want to vent about SolarWinds and perhaps sell PRTG along the way. If you really are inteested in creating a report, please do include more details along those lines.

I have seen a lot of folks choose PRTG over SWI for mostly price, but I have also seen a lot of them come right back to SWI when they can no longer accept the lack of features and support from PRTG. I'm not here to sell you either, but keep in mind that the awesome TCO for a Yugo leaves you with a hurting ROI.

Best Wishes - Andy

• Hello,

first of all big sorry for inconvenience, maybe caused just by misunderstanding.

Basicly the group alerts can be simply created in "Advanced Alert Manager". Just select as property to monitor to Group or Group Member. Then the conditions can be chained according to selected logic (ALL = AND logic, ANY = OR logic and so one) as well as the whole condition groups.

Is there any specific condition you need to help with?

Can you please send me (e.g. by email) the Support case ID if exists? Was your Support case escalated to Dev Team?

Regards,

Honza Pelousek

GroupAlert.png

• Hi Niles,

Apologies for the difficulty you are experiencing. Perhaps if you could provide some further detail on the alert you are trying to configure, we can work through it. Out-of-the-box we do provide default group alerts:

1-15-2014 3-11-48 PM.png

We certainly try to make the product as easy to setup and configure as possible- and for that very reason, don't offer professional services. There are plenty of third-party integrators to assist with very complex multi-tier environments, but this doesn't sound like it's the case here. If you could supply some further details on what you are trying to accomplish, I'm sure we can get you going quickly. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcbridea

When was the last time you used PRTG? Just in the last year they have made leaps and bounds. PRTG has truly matured to compete with bigger more expensive solutions.

I worked at a manufacturing company several years ago  that had 14 site world wide. They used SWI and then was introduced to PRTG. In days the IT Director tossed SWI in favor of PRTG. I still know several people who work there and about two month ago they hit just over 8 million sensors (element in SWI). They monitor literally everything that is connected to their network, including the assembly line and not just the OS that runs them but the custom peripherals that are attached to them.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to rob.hock

PRTG does not offer Professional Services because their software is easy to understand, far more logical. Simply put, it just makes sense.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to rob.hock

Still cannot get what I want after try your suggestions. This took me a matter of minutes in PRTG with no help for anyone. I just cannot get over this!

• Unless you want to actually provide some details of what you wish to accomplish, it will be difficult for all but the mind readers in the community to assist you. If you are a troll promoting another product, I guess continue on as you are...or go away.

• First of all you are using the wrong Solarwinds module for alerting.

NCM is designed for Network Configuration Management, not performance monitoring.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I suggest you use the NPM module for this.

• To my knowledge SolarWinds also does not offer Professional Services for the same reasons PRTG doesn't; it's simple enough that you shouldn't need it and when you do need help the documentation/videos/community/SWSupport should be able to help you.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Maybe if you would indicate what you're trying to do.  Your posts are simply rants and oddly worded plugs for a different product.

I suggest you provide details so that one of the myriad of solarwinds experts that read this forum can help you.

I'm really surprised you can't figure it out...