cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Upgrading from 10.0.1 to 12.5 and I was told it was not supported and impossible...

I'm not looking for any accolades or anything. I recently was given the task to upgrade 2 separate Solarwinds instances from 10.0.1 to 12.5 without any historical or data loss. Officially I was told that it was unsupported and I was on my own. Given that 10.0.1 was end of life in 2010 I don't hold that against Solarwinds in any way, shape or form. The support and sales staff helped as much as they could given the situation. Here are the details of the instances and upgrade paths. I only post this so that it may help someone who is in a similar situation. Please feel free to reach out to me should you have any questions or required assistance with your upgrade. I don't guarantee that I can absolutely solve your current dilemma, but I'm happy to help if I can. Here are the details of what I started with and how I ended up at NPM 12.5...

The 2 environments that I started with were as follows:

- Single Windows 2003 64bit, SQL 2005 SP4 and NPM 10.0.1.

- 4 severs running Windows 2003 32bit, 1 with SQL 2005 SP3, 1 main Orion Web/Poller and 2 Additional Polling Engines. All running NPM 10.0.1.

1. Starting from Windows 2003 (32 or 64 bit), SQL 2005 (SP3 or SP4) and Solarwinds NPM 10.0.1:

- Upgrade on existing platform to NPM 10.2.0.

- Upgrade on existing platform to NPM 10.6.1.

2. Create new server(s) using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and Microsoft SQL 2008 R2:

- Stand up new server(s) with same name(s), workgroup/domain,  networking, persistent routes and hosts file.

- Install Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 with SQL Management tools, copy over database files from Windows 2003 SQL server and Attach to new 2008 R2 server.

- You may need to remove/add SQL user accounts and adjust permissions, as well as Enable Named Pipes for Network SQL Connections (possibly other things).

- Reinstall NPM 10.6.1 on all servers (be careful to install proper packages, such as NPM vs. APE packages) and connect to new database.

- Upgrade on existing platform to NPM 11.5.3.

- Upgrade on existing platform to NPM 12.0.1.

3. Create new server(s) using Windows Server 2019 Standard and Microsoft SQL 2016:

- Stand up new server(s) with same name(s), workgroup/domain,  networking, persistent routes and hosts file.

- Install Microsoft SQL 2016 with SQL Management tools, copy over database files from Windows 2008 SQL server and Attach to new 2016 server.

- You may need to remove/add SQL user accounts and adjust permissions, as well as Enable Named Pipes for Network SQL Connections (possibly other things).

- Reinstall NPM 12.0.1 on all servers (be careful to install proper packages, such as NPM vs. APE packages) and connect to new database.

- Upgrade on existing platform to NPM 12.5 on Main Orion Poller.

- For APEs you push 12.5 from the main Orion server once it has been upgraded to 12.5.

A few things to consider:

- Only Solarwinds Customer Service folks can easily manually deactivate your licenses, so if you can’t do upgrades during regular business hours then ask for temporary licenses for your products.

- Your SQL settings will have to be tweaked to match your individual config.

- You may need to drop/configure firewall settings in Windows 2008 and 2019.

- Download all the required Solarwinds packages locally, and don’t miss that there are potentially different packages for APEs.

- Export all SSL certificates, copy hosts files, dump routing to file (route print > filename) and take note of the general server configs (name, domain/workgroup, network cards, associated IP addresses, subnet masks, gateways, dns servers, etc…).

- Some upgrade package(s) may fail with .dll or .ocx registration errors, but don’t be discouraged. Browse to the directories and manually register them with a right-click. After you manually register them click Ignore for that file on the installer and continue. There may be a load of them but after I did this the package installed fine and I could continue.

- If you want to get to Microsoft SQL 2017 then stand up a new Windows 2019 server with Microsoft SQL 2017 installed, copy over database files from 2016 SQL server and Attach to new Microsoft 2017 server. I didn't bother to do this step though.

I'm probably forgetting something so if you have questions please feel free to reach out.

Cheers,

Jeff.

0 Kudos
0 Replies