cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

How to "Verify that the Orion SQL Server account has access to the Orion database"?

Jump to solution

Hello experts,

KB Error: Verify that the Orion SQL Server account has access to the Orion database states that one should "Verify that the Orion SQL Server account has access to the Orion database." but doesn't say how... What's the best (and easiest) method; and, is it possible for Orion to notify me of such loss (via alert email)?

R's, Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Sorry didn't spot the second part.

As Orion is completely driven from the DB if the application can't access the database then it's essentially dead in the water so no alerts in Orion will help you.

I have another monitoring tool that check web pages so i get it to load the Orion console and check the login page and the versions footer loads (the version info comes from the DB), if this fails then i know the application has a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies

Simplest way would be to install SQL Management studio on your Orion server and connect to the database engine with that user account, not ideal if you have multiple servers but will at least check the account is working.

If you want to then check the port is open on other servers open PowerShell  and run "Test-Netconnection -ComputerName (Name/IP of your SQL server) -Port (SQL port,1433 if default)"

This will return a tcptestsucceeded message of either true or false.

0 Kudos

Thank you.

Is it sufficient to know that database is functioning only by testing its listener - surely a token/simple query is  needed?

What about the second part of the question: “is it possible for Orion to notify me of such loss (via alert email)?”

0 Kudos

Sorry didn't spot the second part.

As Orion is completely driven from the DB if the application can't access the database then it's essentially dead in the water so no alerts in Orion will help you.

I have another monitoring tool that check web pages so i get it to load the Orion console and check the login page and the versions footer loads (the version info comes from the DB), if this fails then i know the application has a problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks...

Would I sound contentious if I seem incredulous that a monitoring and alerting application cannot alert when it itself (or its dependencies) fail? Surely there should be a watchdog running on the server side-by-side with Orion to issue alerts?

0 Kudos

Nothing built in, but over the years I have seen many people whip up basic watchdogs in powershell or run simple toolds to superficially watch their orion instance.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

Remotely Monitoring Solarwinds Services

Not Builtin but Solarwinds developed

0 Kudos

Thanks.

The only pertinent service I see is MSSQL$SOLARWINDS_ORION - will that fail if Orion loses access to the database?

0 Kudos

Is there a reason why Solarwinds hasn’t done this themselves - is this oversight or there’s sense in this?

Additionally, can Orion itself generate own SNMP Traps or Syslog event messages (based on its own state) to other monitor applications?

0 Kudos

It can when it's up, but those mechanisms also tend to fail when you lose the db.

In some ways Orion is chock full of useful and innovative features, in other ways it has totally perplexing gaps.  I always have found that its best use is as a platform that I can leverage while filling un the gaps as I find them on my end.

0 Kudos

Thanks.

Can you point me to where the configuration settings to have Orion itself generate own SNMP Traps or Syslog event messages (based on its own state) to other monitor applications are?

0 Kudos

Just create an alert for whatever condition you want, then set the action to be too send a trap to your other tools. Send an SNMP trap in the Orion Platform

0 Kudos

Thank you.

However, I’m referring to Orion’s own SNMP Traps or Syslog event messages (based on its own state), not forwarding of received SNMP Traps or Syslog event messages from polled devices. In other words, does Orion have an Agent monitoring its own state?

0 Kudos