cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Can Free Log Viewer use Free Poller Engine?

Jump to solution

Dear SolarWinds,

Log Analyzer is becoming the main syslog/trap messages engine for NPM. I would like to ask for the ability to use it with Free Poller Engine (FPE).

NPM with Log Viewer is a great combo for any customers with only NPM license (without Log Analyzer license).

It is a step in the direction to buying LA license, however I want to ask for the scalability options just for the Log Viewer.

The idea is to use NPM main server for monitoring SNPM/ICMP devices and use FPE to scale the syslog messages across few FPE servers (in order to unload NPM resource usage).

Is this a supported configuration? Thanks.

Chapter - Use a Free Poller Engine (page 29)

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/archive/pdf/la/LA-Admin-Guide.pdf

Kind regards,
Marcin Kazmierczak.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 15

Log Viewer does not include additional polling engines.  If additional polling engines are needed for log collection you should consider Log Analyzer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 15

Log Viewer does not include additional polling engines.  If additional polling engines are needed for log collection you should consider Log Analyzer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hello jeff.stewart

Thank you so much for fast reply.

Could you also confirm, if customer has "NPM with APE" or "NAM bundle" (without Log Analyzer license) - could they use Log Viewer with APEs?

The question is mainly focused on existing customers, who does not have LA license yet, but they do have NPM with additional polling engines.

When using Syslog Viewer (and Trap), the syslog service was included in all APEs.

I wonder what is the situation with Log Viewer, as this is starting to replace Syslog Viewer.

Kind regards,
Marcin.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Log Viewer can take advantage of licensed additional polling engines being used NPM or NAM.

That is great news, thank you!

Thanks to this, it will be much easier to move customers from Syslog Viewer, to Log Viewer and next to Log Analyzer