This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

When is Kiwi Syslog v10 coming out?

As you all may recall, it's been 7 months since Kiwi Syslog v9.5 was posted (see Kiwi Syslog 9.5 is now Available! ).  I am very much looking forward to a major release (i.e. v10).  What would this new version contain?  I have a few things in my wish-list...

• Increased the of number of syslog messages and snmp traps that can Kiwi can handle. According to a posting on Geek Speak (How many messages can Kiwi Syslog manage?​ Kiwi can handle between 400 and 600 messages per second.  I'd like to see that go all the way up to 2,000 messages (or more).
  • Rules Wizard (for the novice and those of us with diminished brain-cells due to age.  emoticons_confused.png
  • Full web-based management option.  I don't know about other Thwackers, but I prefer not to use Win32 (via RDP) whenever possible.
  • Additional Polling Engine option for Kiwi.  This, so we can have multiple servers handle syslog messages and snmp traps.

I am sure that other Thwackers have many other items in their respective wish-list for Kiwi.  I'd like to hear from you.  And, of course, I'd like to hear from the Kiwi PM, to tell us what's in the Roadmap for the next Kiwi release.  Have a great day, everyone!!!  emoticons_cool.png

• You sure have alot of ides to that humbel tool...

I see kiwi as "sidekick" that help Orion.

We still are not happy with trap & syslog alerts in the Orion domain ( only half the planet ask for trap advance alert )

In my setup kiwi will keep do the trap  "heavy lifting" for Orion that never was good in that area any how...

9.5 came in perfect timing I needed  transparent forwarding to some traps...

I will sure like better integration with Orion some kind of action that will make Orion change the node status not only from up / down

It could be like API call from kiwi to Orion "please set that sub element in that node in warnning state"

sja

• Yeah, I know I am asking for a lot...  And yet, dreams often come true for dreamers.  emoticons_cool.png

Note to Kiwi PM/Moderador --- I'd like to get your feedback as well... A road-map would be ideal, since we've had v9.5 for over 8 months...

• I'd like to see:

• A native 64 bit version.
    • Conditional branching in the rules
    • per server tracking for the timeout filters
    • a 'not' condition(most likely useful with the conditional branching)
    • the ability to import MIBs OR a better submisson process
    • additional methods to send alarms(low disk space, msg count etc) - run a script, send a trap or syslog to another server.
    • native integrations with 3rd party tools like OpsGenie and Pagerduty
    • an API or some way to remotely pull stats into something like Graphite.

More capacity is always welcome, a web console would be nice but not a priority for me.

I don't want Kiwi to be a SEIM tool like Splunk or Arcsight.  It's a log receiver and archiving tool and should stay in that realm, the focus and relative simplicity makes it easy to manage.

• kstone​,

I have to admit that your "wish-list" for Syslog Kiwi is definitely better than mine.  I hope the PM/Moderator takes note of these exchanges and respond soon w/what they have planned.

Thanks and have a great day!!!  emoticons_cool.png

• One more item:

A way to save and backup the config automatically.  Either via in app scheduling or an API/scripting interface.

• My biggest problem is the current kiwi won't work with Windows 2012R2 Server.  Many of us have ran into this:  Kiwi Syslog 9.5 is now Available!

• ecklerwr1​ We are actively working on the case your partner has open.  My understanding is that you are running a hardened version of 2012 R2, is that correct?

• Yes this is a DISA network that is STIG'd.  It looks like emtox​ and sdawson35 are also having the exact same problem from the this thread as well Kiwi Syslog 9.5 is now Available!

We could ask them if they are also hardening their Windows 2012 R2.  I appreciate the response jeff.stewart

The good thing for SolarWinds is that kiwi is on the DISA approved list of software... now we just have to find a way to get it working with Windows2012R2.  I'm not convinced it's the hardening causing the problem... but you never know.  Now that others have reported the same problem I don't feel quite as frustrated.

• Yes, we are hardening our Windows 2012 R2 instances.  emoticons_wink.png
    Just noticed your INC#999667 has been opened almost three months?  There goes my hope for a quick fix emoticons_angry.png