This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Syslog coming in on 2nd interface not doing DNS translation for hostname

Hi all, my first post on here :)

I have Kiwi free syslog server setup on my Windows Server 2003 server. It's running well but for one annoyance. The server has 2 NICs and both can receive syslog messages from various network elements.

My problem is that elements sending through one of the NICs translate their IP to hostname without problem. The elements coming through the other NIC do not translate at all and Kiwi just displays their IP address instead :(

For translation, I am solely using a 'hosts' file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.

Can anyone help me with this strange problem?

Many thanks

• Machinist,

Try clearing Kiwi Syslog Server's internal DNS cache, and then restarting the Kiwi Syslog Server service.
    Clearing the DNS cache (Setup > DNS Setup > DNS Caching > Clear All) will remove all the static name resolution data.
    The restart will force Kiwi Syslog Server to reload the static hosts (from sys32\drivers\etc\hosts).

Mike Kuzman
    Lead Developer - Kiwi Syslog Server
    SolarWinds NZ