This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

KiwiSyslog Evaluation - Log4Net and XML

Hello,

I've started evaluating KiwiSyslog Server.

We will be using KiwiSyslog Server (gui and webclient) to listen to UDP traffic broadcasted by our applicaitons by the Log4Net Library.

I was able to receive the traffic in the following default form which is not what I'm looking for.

Contacted Sales Support and they told me to search the forums (nothing relevant found) and post a thread here if I still need assistance.

Will be glad for some assistance because This SysLog server does exactly what we need but the output formatting is too RAW.

The default fields look like this:

Date, Time, Priority, Hostname, Message.

I'm not interested in these fields except Message which contains all relevant information.

The problem is the "Message" field is in "Log4Net" format which is basicly a kind of XML.

I"ve tried writing custom scripts but wasn't able to succeed.

I would be glad for some assistance in parsing this output and using these fields.

Here is an example of the "Message" syntax:

<log4net:eventlogger="Logger"timestamp="Timestamp"level="Level"thread="Thread" domain="Domain"username="Username">
   <log4net:message>Message
</log4net:message>
   <log4net:properties>
      <log4net:data
name="DataName"value="DataValue"/>
   </log4net:properties>
   <log4net:locationInfo
class="Class"method="Method"file="File"line="Line"/>
</log4net:event>

In the above format, the bold black text are the fields the value in these attributes/keys should be.

Thanks in advance,

Idan.

• Hi Idan,

I'd start by creating a custom File format in Kiwi Syslog, that just logs the "message" to log file (without all the Date, Time, Priority, etc.).

Setup > Formatting > Custom file formats > Create New custom format, and select just "Message" field (no delimiters, no qualifiers, just the message).

Re-configure your Log to File action (or create a new one):
    Action : Log to File - Select the Custom log file format you just created.

eg. "Log4Net.xml" (as might be generated from custom logging format above)

<log4net:event logger="Logger" timestamp="Timestamp" level="Level" thread="Thread" domain="Domain" username="Username"><log4net:message>Message</log4net:message><log4net:properties><log4net:data name="DataName" value="DataValue"/></log4net:properties><log4net:locationInfo class="Class" method="Method" file="File" line="Line"/></log4net:event>
    <log4net:event logger="Logger" timestamp="Timestamp" level="Level" thread="Thread" domain="Domain" username="Username"><log4net:message>Message</log4net:message><log4net:properties><log4net:data name="DataName" value="DataValue"/></log4net:properties><log4net:locationInfo class="Class" method="Method" file="File" line="Line"/></log4net:event>
    ...etc...

You should then be able to set up the output as an external entity in a separate file to form a correct XML file.
    eg.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<!DOCTYPE log4net:events SYSTEM "log4net-events.dtd" [<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "Log4Net.xml">]>

<log4net:events version="1.2" xmlns:log4net="http://logging.apache.org/log4net/schemas/log4net-events-1.2>
        &data;
    </log4net:events>

http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/sdk/log4net.Layout.XmlLayout.html

We have a KB article also (Setting up XML compliant logging in Kiwi Syslog), which uses a similar (albiet simpler) method, but also includes some XML stylesheet stuff that may be useful...
    http://www.kiwisyslog.com/kb/how-to:-setup-xml-compliant-logging-in-kiwi-syslog-server/

• Hi Mike,

I followed the first steps you suggested and I have a Log4Net.xml file.

Not sure I understand what to do from there.

Also, Checked the KB you sent and it seems to collide with what you first suggested.

Will appreciate more help on this.

Thanks,

Idan.

• Sorry, I meant to say just to check out the .zip file in the KB article.  (You're right - The article itself will probably not make sense).  I just thought I'd mention it since it touches on the use of XML stylesheets (in combination with XML wrapper)

I haven't actually tried any of this, but I'm assuming that the advice here (http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/sdk/log4net.Layout.XmlLayout.html) is correct.

It appears similar to how we create the XML_Logfile_wrapper.xml in the KB zip file, but relates specifically to Log4Net's xml logging implementation.

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure we are on the same page.

My Goal is to have Kiwi Syslog Server parse the "Message" (Log4Net, XML) and show it as columns.

I wasn't able to understand how the links you sent can help me achieve that.

The users of KiwiSyslog will use the Web Interface or the GUI client and they expect to see columns that are based on the received input via UDP, which is the XML formatted text.

Thanks,

Idan.

• Unfortunately, you cannot override the default columns in Kiwi syslog (at least, you can't change their names).

You can override the content of the fields though, by using a Custom RunScript action to modify the Syslog Message before it is displayed.

ie.
    Rule "Override Syslog Message in display 00"
    -Action
    +RunScript "OverrideSyslog.vbs" (FULL READ/WRITE permissions)
    +Display 00

"OverrideSyslog.vbs"  (Just a sample, based on XML input as specified).

Function Main()

sMessage = Fields.VarCleanMessageText

xmlHeader = "<?xml version=""1.0"" ?>"
    Dim oXML
    Set oXML = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    oXML.loadXML(xmlHeader & "<log4net:events xmlns:log4net=""http://logging.apache.org/log4net/schemas/log4net-events-1.2"">" & sMessage & "</log4net:events>")

Set log4net_events = oXML.documentElement
    For Each log4net_event In log4net_events.childnodes
     Set log4net_event_message = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("log4net:message")
     Set log4net_event_properties = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("log4net:properties")
     Set log4net_event_locationInfo = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("log4net:locationInfo")

message = log4net_event_message.text

logger = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@logger").text
     timestamp = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@timestamp").text
     level = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@level").text
     thread = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@thread").text
     domain = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@domain").text
     username = log4net_event.selectSingleNode("@username").text

method = log4net_event_locationInfo.selectSingleNode("@method").text
     file = log4net_event_locationInfo.selectSingleNode("@file").text
     line = log4net_event_locationInfo.selectSingleNode("@line").text

'Syslog Field Override
     Fields.VarPeerName = domain

Next

Main="OK"

End Function

More info on overriding Kiwi Syslog's built-in fields, in Kiwi Syslog Help documentation ("the script variables")
    You can override all the default fields - Date, time, priority, hostname, message, and populate them with whatever data you want.

Note: The method above of parsing XML data using XMLDOM object is quite expensive, especially when the syslog throughput is high.  Not recommended for high-load situations.

-Kuz

• Hi Mike, If I was able to change the formatting to "CSV" would I be able to add columns to the default columns in KiwiSyslog GUI and Web ?