cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

failed to determine hostname - Dell PowerConnect M6220

Hi,

When trying to backup the running config on a Dell PowerConnect M6220 switch, I receive the "Failed to determine hostname -timeout" error. This switch is in a Dell M1000e blade chassis. I am using the Dell.Switch.CLI which I have used on all the previous versions of the Dell Chassis switch's. The new switch does require you to type "en" at the prompt before backing up the config. But any prompt field I fill in seems to have no affect.

I have attached a capture which I ran twice with the same result. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if further information is required.

Thanks,

Larry

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 12

Hi Larry,

Generally speaking the fields on the prompts tab should be left blank, so please clear them at this stage.

If you run a Device.ConnectivityTest.Login activity against the device does it login OK?

If not can you send me the debug log for this and the relevant section of the infolog.

If it does log in OK can you try the backup again (with nothing in the prompts tab) and send me the debug log and the relevant section of the infolog. Also a PuTTY capture of you login in and generating the backup manually would be helpful. Please ensure to *** out any sensitive information from the captures.

Thanks,

Wardini

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue.  Do we know if there is a fix for this?  I ran the device connectivity test which does fail overall, but the info log states the login was successfull, but towards the end it says disconnected, then login results=VTY: Failed: enable: n/a, HostID: N//A, then says failed to dermine hostname - timeout.  I purchased an upgrade hoping that the older version that I had was the issue, but 3.4 doesn't work either.  Let me know.  thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Larry,

I see you are connecting via SSH.  Can you confirm for me which version of the DELL OS you are running please?

If it is possible to connect to the device using Telnet instead of SSH, could you run a test to see if changing the 'Method' in CatTools to Telnet resolves this problem.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos

I am running version 2.2.0.3 on a dell 6220 in an M1000e Chassis.  I am trying to move totally away from telnet on all my devices.  I do have other dell devices (6248, 5xxx series) all running telnet and they work fine, so I can only assume that if I enabled telnet on this device that it would work as well.

0 Kudos

I can certainly enable telnet and try it if that will help in the troubleshooting process.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

telnet does in fact work on the 6220

0 Kudos

Can you try connect using SSH1 to see if that works too?

0 Kudos

ssh1 works as well

0 Kudos