cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Every device scan results in a new config

We are new users of KiWi CatTools and I'm not sure if this is regular or should it only save config changes. Now every time it checks for a config change it saves the whole configuration as if there were changes - eventhough there weren't any.

We have different types of devices and it happens on all of them (Cisco WLC, Cisco Switches and Routers, MikroTik, Fortigates).

Is this normal or should it only make a backup whene it detects a change in the configuration?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 15

If you look in the configs, are there any changes such as time or date?  If so these can be excluded.

Level 7

Yeah, there were timestamps in the MikroTik configurations:

"# mar/10/2020 15:07:13 by RouterOS 6.45.7"

I added that to Backup Ignore Text:

^by RouterOS

It still doesn't work. Should I put:

^"by RouterOS" 

The Cisco IOS configurations don't have any changes in the configuration files when I compare them and it still makes a new backup file every time.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Try this:

^: ignore lines with the sample text occurring anywhere in them.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Help says:

When comparing files using either the Report.Compare.Two files or Report.Compare.Running Startup activities you are provided with the option to supply ignore text.

Lines that match the ignore text instruction will be classed as ignored lines.

Ignored lines are still highlighted in the diff report but they are not flagged as changes / differences and so will not trigger alert emails to be sent.

The Ignore text syntax is made up of two parts.

1. The first part is an instruction which defines the context of the ignore text.
^ is the instruction to ignore lines with the sample text occurring anywhere in them

< is the instruction to ignore lines that begin with the sample text

> is the instruction to ignore lines that end with the sample text

2. The second part is a block of sample text which will be searched for when the line comparison is being made.

The following is an example of how this feature might be used:

^Time Will ignore any lines with the text "Time" in them

<Time Will ignore any lines which begin with the word "Time"

>Time Will ignore any lines which end with the word "Time"

Examples:

^! Last configuration change at

This will ignore only lines that contain the text "Last configuration change at"

<Current configuration

This will ignore only lines that begin with "Current configuration"

^! Last configuration change at|<Current configuration

This will ignore lines that contain the text "Last configuration change at" as well as lines that begin with "Current configuration"

Multiple ignore text instructions may be concatenated by using the | (pipe) symbol.

E.g.

^some text|^some other text|<some more text

I tried

^"by RouterOS"

^: by RouterOS

^by RouterOS

^! by RouterOS

None of these help.

I opened the config changes file that is attached to the email report and I can see in that .txt file that this has worked from the installation date on 8.8.2019 until 23.9.2019. After that all the checks say that it's a new config for all devices. I have no idea what has changed on that day...

0 Kudos