cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Cat Tools alternate command

Jump to solution

I have setup a device.backup.running config and that is working ok. When I add the use alternate command for a cisco router and use the "show ip arp" command the process just hangs and comes back with an error "failed to receive current configuration line in device config file. Will this work or do you need to use the activity "report.arp table. Also it fails to send an email out for the report on this activity.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Comparing the current outputs from a previous one is NOT yet available both in Device.CLI activity and Report.ARP table activity. I believe this feature is only  available in Device.Backup Running Config. I have tried to perform this on my CatTools Server and it works like a charm. Feel free to perform the following:

1. Use Generic.Device as Device Type and put the necessary fields like IP address and passwords.

2. Under Variations -> Additional commands, Enable Show Running Config and put show arp or related command. See screenshot for more details.

3. Save and run your Backup Running Config and see the results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9g76ohslddoqet/varaitions.png?dl=0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 11

Hi matkenn,

bkyle is right. You can use Device.CLI.Send commands activity and list the commands you wanted to send. Moreover, the Report.ARP table activity is also a great alternative. On a Cisco IOS device it uses a simple "Show IP ARP" command and builds a table of results over time. More on this activity here:

SolarWinds CatTools

Level 15

I would recommend a Device.CLI.Send commands activity.  Please see this link:

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/help/cattools/index.html?act_devclisendcmd_setup.htm

Thanks for your help, those commands work using the Device.CLI activity. How do you now compare the "show ip arp" output reports to track changes in those devices and do a report. You can do this manually but can this be autotmated when you run the activity?  I have around 450 devices.

Comparing the current outputs from a previous one is NOT yet available both in Device.CLI activity and Report.ARP table activity. I believe this feature is only  available in Device.Backup Running Config. I have tried to perform this on my CatTools Server and it works like a charm. Feel free to perform the following:

1. Use Generic.Device as Device Type and put the necessary fields like IP address and passwords.

2. Under Variations -> Additional commands, Enable Show Running Config and put show arp or related command. See screenshot for more details.

3. Save and run your Backup Running Config and see the results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9g76ohslddoqet/varaitions.png?dl=0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks airsun.  Also I changed the Device Type to Cisco.router.General from Cisco switch IOS and that also resolved the issue.

The Report.ARP table activity airsun mentioned may help.  When trying this activity what do you get back?

0 Kudos

When I run this I get a list of the Arp tables which is good, but when this run the same activity agian I want to be able to compare the changes to those arp tables. It used to work before by just adding the 'show ip arp' in the alternate command field on the device.backup activity. It works for other cammands like "show running-config" but not show ip arp.

0 Kudos