Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Backup Avaya Switches Cat Tools

Jump to solution

Hi;

When I'm trying to backup config's from Avaya Switches, l get the following message "Password is incorrect for device.Enter Password : ".

I tried to add "Variations", and I solved one of the issues that was that you needed to enter CTRL-Y to enter the credentials.

It seems like that the backup is working because I get the message "Backup Running Config results: OK"

I filled the AAA login field and tick the box "Initial login requires login/password".

Thanks for you help,

Regards

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Nevermind, it shows in the screenshot that you're using 5.3.0.6, I assumed it was a newer switch version. I haven't used that version specifically, though I do have some switches running 5.4.1. With these switches I have no variations set at all and the default device type of Nortel.Switch.Ethernet works fine. Might be switch related. Try using SSH for login instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 9

I may have seen this too late, but I also run CatTools with Avaya switches and ran into this exact same problem. Here is how you resolve this:

Under variations, you're going to put the following into "Pre-Login Keystroke":

CTRL-Y

CTRL-M

This will allow CatTools to get passed the CTRL-Y prompt.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer.

The problem is that I already tried that solution.

From what I've seen, It looks like it's linked with the banner of the switch. I'm getting the error "Password is incorrect for device.Enter Password in the Info Log and in the debug log I've the error "Invalid input detected" right after the username has been input.

Can you show me how did you configure your device type and variations to see what's wrong with my configuration.

Regards

Kévin

0 Kudos

From the screenshot it looked like you were missing the 'CTRL-M' portion of the Variation. It needs both because Avaya first asks for the CTRL-Y then it also requires you to press enter to continue following that. I have nothing else set-up in the Variations apart from this.

What switch version are you using?

0 Kudos

Nevermind, it shows in the screenshot that you're using 5.3.0.6, I assumed it was a newer switch version. I haven't used that version specifically, though I do have some switches running 5.4.1. With these switches I have no variations set at all and the default device type of Nortel.Switch.Ethernet works fine. Might be switch related. Try using SSH for login instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks Mdeangel, I tried with the default device type of Nortel.Switch.Ethernet and it works completely fine with no errors without variations.

It has been several days since I'm on this problem and you solved it very quickly.

I can change this topic to solved now

Good to hear! Little backstory on that, Nortel was purchased by Avaya so all the Avaya equipment is really just rebranded Nortel's which is why that setting works. Extreme has since purchased Avaya so the ERS Extreme Switches are the Nortel/Avaya line nowadays. If you decide to upgrade the software on the switch, keep in mind that you may need to use variations as they add some extra stuff to the MOTD (which would be my original comment as a workaround to it).

0 Kudos