cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Big Data or Big Garbage?

i agree i dont get why i need so many servers just to house the log files it seems like everytime we get a new server we need 3 more just for log files. but i as well do alot of planning before i implement just to try to make sure that sweet spot is hit.

0 Kudos
mikegrocket
Level 10

Big data or big garbage? Since it is electrical bits now, it seems no on is throwing anything away anymore. How many of us are guilty in our own lives, taking a trip and coming home with hundreds of digital pictures. Do we sit down and gothrough them, getting rid of the ones that are no good? Not usually, we just leave them on our hard drive and go on. That seems to be the prevailing attitude with data today. I've heard people say things like, why not, stroage is cheap. Maybe so, but managing that storage can become costly in time. These attitudes tend to enable software to continue  to grow and grow while giving rise to logging everything. Where does it end? It makes my head spin. To the question of SIEM, which is right for me? There are so many solutions and ranging the whole spectrum for costs. I just don't know...

0 Kudos
IGFCSS.DSI
Level 10

You made me think about when someone design IPv4 address space.  4294967296 (232) addresses of limit??? We will never need to use them all!!!

0 Kudos
Aforsythe
Level 13

It really depends on why we are collecting data. If it's for event correllation then use something to filter the data you don't need and just log it somewhere. On a day to day basis, I'm really only interested in Alerts from my SonicWall, but when I get a call asking if I can prove an e-mail left our exchange server and left, I'm very happy that I'm archiving EVERYTHING when it keeps us out of court, provides evidence, etc...

0 Kudos
planglois
Level 13

I remember as well that my dad had a magazine article about the newest 10mb hard drives... the title was: Who will ever need that?

0 Kudos
RichardLetts
Level 16

In another life I worked for a SaaS vendor. For the display tier there were logs from firewalls, web servers, database engines, and application servers. We consciously built a log handling service (using splunk) to consume these inputs and analyse them as fast as the professional services and support staff needed to do their job (i.e. a few minutes was okay). The benefit to this was that we could put access control, cleanse the data (PCI/HIPPA/etc.), and be more responsive to customer inquiries  Too often the kind of log-file storage infrastructure at organizations is an after-thought. Though linux-geeks and sysadmins can grep logfiles, I feel that it was so much better to give fast access to the data to the people who need it. I think splunk is a great product, but it's quite expensive and in the past couple of years competitors like LogRhythm and logstash have come along

When talking about 'big data' we should qualify it. One person's 'big' is another persons 'small'. Where I work a year's worth of logs for the network infrastructure is probably well over 20TB, but this pales in comparison with what researchers here consider 'big': The data analysis systems for the UW eScience institute supports several PB of storage and I think they're up over 1000 nodes. (They also offers the free coursera course: https://www.coursera.org/course/datasci. on data science as well as Ph.D in Big Data).

0 Kudos
IGFCSS.DSI
Level 10

My first HDD had 20Mb and at that time I used to say "It's more than enough, all my data is stored on floppy disks!!!"...

dougeria
Level 9

Big Garbage it is, if the people going through the data don't know the good from the bad.  It will take a program to read the program which reads the data.  How many levels of complexity do we need?  Has the payoff been worth it?

0 Kudos
zackm
Level 15

I've always viewed (perhaps naively) event logs in the same way that I have viewed packet captures... a royal pain in the foot.

The inability to have a simple query run through the mounds and mounds of information you receive that parses reliable and accurate results astounds me. It's akin to the gasoline engine; you know there has to be something better out there, but no one seems to be able to create a full featured alternative yet.

The person who patents a SIEM that can handle the large amounts of data generated in global data center environments and can correlate the logs from multiple sources... that's the next billionaire in this industry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
michael2907
Level 9

I have to agree with a lot of people in saying that event logs are just not very fun to sort through.

0 Kudos