Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Wish List

Dear Santa,

Please bring me the following in IPAM v1.1

• The ability to filter small blocks (/30's) tracked as a resource in IPAM but not needed as a top ten notify on web-page (I HATE RED!) when all host in subnet are allocated or reserved
    • Tried manual never scan etc. 
  • NPM Custom Property Integration 
  • Traps
  • Separate import export functionality for low level users who need to export IP's without granting power-user status
  • Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
  • The ability to report on container groups
  • The ability to filter IP's by groups
  • The ability to filter groups of IP's and then assign them to user accounts within Solar Winds web accounts (example - I'm an international shop, I want my London folks to only see those IP's I've cataloged as belonging to London, and Asia Pacific, Asia pacific IP's)
  • A pony
  • and a plastic rocket

PS - If any of Santa's elves can answer to these points now, thanks for that

0 Kudos
77 Replies

no we don't have APM at the moment.

0 Kudos

OK, just checking as there is a workaround if you do.  As I mention, native support for this in IPAM is an open enhancement request we have in the system

0 Kudos

Here are some of the things we would like to see in future releases...

1. In the GUI, if the editable fields (i.e. Comments) for the individual IPs could be updated without having to select the IP then click Edit above.  To just be able to click on the field and edit it right there. 

2. I know earlier in the post someone mentioned the issue that when you finish editing an IP on page five it takes you back to page one.  I'll second or third that as an "annoying" feature.  If it would take us back to the same page and possibly to the last edited IP would be nice so I don't have to scroll to find where I was at.

3. I emailed Brandon and Peter on this already, but we would like to see something similar to the NCM change report.  So when a subnet scan completes a report is generated showing the changes since the previous scan for that subnet.  My thought would be a report with a section showing IPs that went active since the last scan and another section showing IPs that went transient or became available since the last scan.  A last section to show system changes (i.e. system name changes, or OS change).

Thanks!

0 Kudos

So let me answer the last three posts.

dwiens, #1 is an interesting idea for us to consider going forward #2 I agree on that being an annoyance, we have it filed and yes I do have your #3 use case.  With a custom SQL report against the IPAM Events table you might be able to do something like that today, but an interesting idea for the future for the product as well.

justinh, agree here, we have this open as a higher priority item to look at an address 

BMac, can you explain your use case a little further please?

0 Kudos

For example, If I needed to add a VLAN/subnet to my infrastructure, It would be nice to be able to scan my network and find an unused block of IP addresses. 

Most of our sites have their own /16 so If I needed a /24 for something I would search for 256 contiguous IP addresses begining and ending at the network boundary. 

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

OK, got it, thanks for the extra insight

0 Kudos

Manageengine's OpUtils does the trick! But it is not stable. Please include Switch Port Management add-on or enhancement for IPAM. Orion lacks of this major function!

0 Kudos

Please add me to the Roles and Permissions feature request.

0 Kudos

I would like to re-iterate how critical being able to search all the fields on sub/supernets is to us.  We can't get rid of our old spread sheets until we can reliably find a subnet based on customer names, locations, etc...

0 Kudos
Level 7

I would like to 2nd the request to have a way to turn off the "alarming" based on how many IP's are free.

In my environment, I have alot of small subnets (/30's and /29's) and they are expected to use most or all of the IP's.  It would be nice to be able to turn off the alarming on a per-subnet basis.

It would also be nice to be able to customize the color coding of the subnets.  As I mentioned, I dont really care how many IP's are available in my network.  But I would like to be able to color code the subnets.  I currently do this in Excel, marking subnets that are not in use Red, and subnets that are live Green.

Additionally, it would be nice to have a way to add custom "Status" tags & colors for the IP's.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Within the IP Networks tree, I would like to be able at a glance to scan/scroll down the tree and see what supernets or subnets are used (i.e., at least one host address detected/assigned).  One means of doing this would be appending Available/Used/Transient counts to the end of the Display Name or added as another column. For examples, for a 24 bit network using subnet/CIDR for the Display name...

10.1.1.0 /24 (150/104/0)

10.1.2.0 /24 (254/0/0)

or

10.1.1.0 /24 (Avail/150, Used/104,Trans/0)

10.1.2.0 /24 (Unused)

I would also like to have the option to select configured custom properties that have been assigned to the supernet/subnet also be displayable in the tree. Would also like to be able to resize the column (which you cannot do with Display Name and Description either) and sort the tree by custom property.

0 Kudos

I would like to request the ability to edit multiple addresses at once. I had to go through changing the type on over 100 addresses earlier, one by one. If I could tick all the addresses I wanted and the click edit so I could edit the fields that could be the same, like Type, Vendor, etc.

It took me ages to change the type on the 100+ addresses.

0 Kudos

Got it, this is one we have heard from many users and will address in a future release

0 Kudos

I would really like to request that IPAM allow the creation of /31 and /32 subnets in both the wizard and the normal add subnet menu's.

Actually I am surprised that the option is not there since it is quite common now days to use these subnets for loopbacks and for point to point connections.

0 Kudos

Another shout out for

I would really like to request that IPAM allow the creation of /31 and /32 subnets in both the wizard and the normal add subnet menu's.

The /30 work around doesn`t really work if you have a lot of sequentenial 31`s in use.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Got it, I  will append you to the request

0 Kudos

Can you add me to the /31 and /32 request as well

0 Kudos

Will do

0 Kudos

Bshopp,

With respect to 30+ networks, If you roll back to the initial post on this thread, any chance we can get an update on this concept ?

• Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
  • It would be so much easier to create subnets within a parent block, maybe have logic built into IPAM that restricts IP's based on a specific mask assigned to a given IP (i.e. net ID and broadcast for non-classful subnet boundries).

For those us who engineer networks and need to track loads of transport networks, management vlans etc. This would be fantastic.

The ability to take a parent block and carve it up with having to create individual networks per subnet off the parent IP.  

here's hoping

0 Kudos

Hi have another one based around Roles.

Basically I only want my 'Operator' to be able to manage individual IP address's and none of the other curent 'op' rights

0 Kudos

Hi have another one based around Roles.

Basically I only want my 'Operator' to be able to manage individual IP address's and none of the other curent 'op' rights

Customizable roles and permissions is an open enhancement request in our system, I will add you to this request

0 Kudos