Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Wish List

Dear Santa,

Please bring me the following in IPAM v1.1

• The ability to filter small blocks (/30's) tracked as a resource in IPAM but not needed as a top ten notify on web-page (I HATE RED!) when all host in subnet are allocated or reserved
    • Tried manual never scan etc. 
  • NPM Custom Property Integration 
  • Traps
  • Separate import export functionality for low level users who need to export IP's without granting power-user status
  • Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
  • The ability to report on container groups
  • The ability to filter IP's by groups
  • The ability to filter groups of IP's and then assign them to user accounts within Solar Winds web accounts (example - I'm an international shop, I want my London folks to only see those IP's I've cataloged as belonging to London, and Asia Pacific, Asia pacific IP's)
  • A pony
  • and a plastic rocket

PS - If any of Santa's elves can answer to these points now, thanks for that

0 Kudos
77 Replies

Good feedback, as a workaround you could always define a /30 and delete out the IP's except the two you care about monitoring in that subnet

0 Kudos

Problem with that is we are actually using the two that would normally be assoitiated as the subnet and broadcast of a /30

example

172.30.252.8/30

172.30.252.8 would be subnet, usable IP's would be .9 and .10 and broadcast would be .11

for the /31

172.30.252.8/31 would be the one side of a serial link and .9 would be the other side

172.30.252.10/31 would be the one side of a serial link and .11 would be the other side

So using your suggested work around would not really work since I would have to skip IP's

I did find a way around but it is not pretty, I first create a supernet with a /24, then I create multiple /30 subnets in that supernet, then go to each subnet and mark the "subnet" and "broadcast" IP's as available (by default they are marked as reserved).

I would think that this would be a relatively easy thing to fix in the code, but then I am not a programmer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to 2nd the request to have a way to turn off the "alarming" based on how many IP's are free.

In my environment, I have alot of small subnets (/30's and /29's) and they are expected to use most or all of the IP's.  It would be nice to be able to turn off the alarming on a per-subnet basis.

ABSOLUTLEY!!! what dgrant and AlbanyNYMike say.  Great requests!  I hate the slide bar for scanning interval.

0 Kudos

A History field that keeps say the last 5 IP/DNS matches or have it user setable to maybe days/weeks to keep the history.  This would be good for those subnets like DHCP ranges that are scanned often.  I can see where someone might need to see who had an IP a few hours or days ago or even last week, but if a scan has already run and updated it's status there is no way to know.

Or even if someone edits an IP by mistake, it would be easy to see what is was before and change it back.

Or maybe a history that just keeps the last 5 changes and not base it on a time frame.

Thanks

0 Kudos

BakerD,

We do keep a history of events within IPAM.  You can see the last XX events from the IPAM Summary Home page or you can use Report Writer to get a larger set or filter down event history.

0 Kudos

And iven more cool, if you´d make a view like the syslog / event view - Searchable from the webpage, instead of creating customized reports to find one specific ip change from x to y

0 Kudos

So you would like to see IPAM events be searchable?  What if you could from an individual IP see the last 5 or 10 change events, would that suffice as well?

0 Kudos

Hi.

That would be cool too !!

but for me it would not be enough. I imagine that some sort of event happened - and i need to find it in my datacenter , or even in my country subnet.

Thats why i liked the syslog-like view.

But your suggestion should be noted too - in the event i´m looking at one single ip, it could be nice to see the last xx events on this IP address aswell.

0 Kudos

Id love to be able to mass edit IP address's or be able to globally set static/dynamic address when i add a subnet..

eg. we use .100 - .240 for DHCP everything else is static.. being able to setup the static/dynamic when i add the subnet would be great instead of having to manually change every ip address....

0 Kudos

This is an already existing enhancement request in the system, I will append your name to it though.

0 Kudos

BakerD,

We do keep a history of events within IPAM.  You can see the last XX events from the IPAM Summary Home page or you can use Report Writer to get a larger set or filter down event history.

Too complicated to me.  If I'm looking at an IP, it would be great to be able to see right there say the last 5 changes/edits.

If you have a lot of things going on in your network, the last xx events can bury things fast.  

Again, creating a custom report doesn't seem convenient to me.  I don't want to have to go into report writer anytime I need to see what all has happened to a certain IP in a time frame.  Unless I am missing something here, this doesn't seem at all easy to do.

0 Kudos

We do have thoughts and ideas on how to make this more accessible in a future version for sure.  Main point I was getting at was, although maybe not optimal, some of that data can be access with 1.0

0 Kudos

I've managed this issue through strict use of account priviledges across helpdesks. may not solve the issue - but definately reduces edits on across the board.  

Also - custom reporting is a cinch (and I'm SQL challenged)

I'd to re-post the wish that future revs allow for subnetting within a parent IP from the parent IP.

If I have a 24 bit network butchered up for management puposes, please allow me to managed the butchered bits from with the parent IP. Creating 400 management networks is a real pain in the arse.

0 Kudos

Imported IPs or networks default to automatic scanning disabled.  We had several dormant or networks no longer in use but we wanted to keep all the information from the last scan as a reference.  After importing into IPAM, it started scanning these and since they were not reachable anymore it wiped out all the contents from DNS etc. 

Edit:  Another reason = once the import was done, I would have liked to be able to rename/reorganize the imported networks before any scanning or other actions started off on them.

0 Kudos

Here is a real simple request. When sorting on the address fied, have an option to sort numberically in addition to alphabetically. By this I mean, if I want to sort by address, then I expect to see x.x.1.x, x.x.2.x, x.x.3.x, etc and not x.x.1.x, x.x.22.x, x.x.7.x, etc. Not very significant, just a little annoying.

Jon

0 Kudos

Option to add a column to show scan interval when viewing a subnets on the right hand side.  The network view section you see that tells you a networks IP total, usage, used, available, etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Sorry if these have already been mentioned, but I just skimmed the thread.

Option to set a time for the scans to run.  For ones that say run once a day or week etc, but able to say you want it to run at a certain time.  I would rather keep network traffic down during the day and run these type of scans at night.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Is there any way we can colour code unused subnets so they are easy to identify?  for example we use 172.16.0.0/16 split into (mainly) 24bit subnets.  Not all of these are used, but it would be nice to have them greyed out if there are no devices on the network segment scanned?

Also wild card searches.  If i want to see if a particular IP if free across our entire estate can i do a search such as 172.16.*.250 for example?

0 Kudos

On the first item, right now the color coding is based on subnet usage, I will add an enhancement to the system.

On the second item you can do wildcard searches from the IPAM Summary Home page or from the Manage Subnets and IP's page as well.  Is it not working for you?

0 Kudos

Sadly not. all we get is the following:

the other two pages only show another two addresses, 172.16.244.250 and 172.16.247.250.  The same addresses appear on pages 2 and 3!!  being as we have a 172.16.0.0/16 supernet i'd expect to see alot more addresses showing as free!!!! Especially as the .250 address is in our resevered addressing space! 

Interestingly i have just noticed it is displaying 1-2 of 255 do i just need to adjust the display options somewhere?

Cheers

Dan

0 Kudos

Interestingly i have just noticed it is displaying 1-2 of 255 do i just need to adjust the display options somewhere?

I've reached out to Dan to arrange a peek at his installation. The wildcard search looks fine.

0 Kudos