Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Wish List

Dear Santa,

Please bring me the following in IPAM v1.1

• The ability to filter small blocks (/30's) tracked as a resource in IPAM but not needed as a top ten notify on web-page (I HATE RED!) when all host in subnet are allocated or reserved
    • Tried manual never scan etc. 
  • NPM Custom Property Integration 
  • Traps
  • Separate import export functionality for low level users who need to export IP's without granting power-user status
  • Much better subnetting of parent IP blocks (i.e. a class C carved up for loopbacks, or 30's) - rather than create new subnets, keep the subnets within  a parent IP (no matter how big or small the parent bits are) with the ability to create subnets within that block.
  • The ability to report on container groups
  • The ability to filter IP's by groups
  • The ability to filter groups of IP's and then assign them to user accounts within Solar Winds web accounts (example - I'm an international shop, I want my London folks to only see those IP's I've cataloged as belonging to London, and Asia Pacific, Asia pacific IP's)
  • A pony
  • and a plastic rocket

PS - If any of Santa's elves can answer to these points now, thanks for that

0 Kudos
77 Replies
Level 13

I'd like to be able to check the box on an IP in IPAM subnet details, and create a managed node in Orion NPM.  IPAM works like a discovery tool, so this would be a nice addition.  

0 Kudos
Level 7

We would like the ability to add our own statuses and color codes  for example....Static Networked printers -brown, video conference systems - blue.

We would also like the ability to specify which SNMP strings are associated with which subnet so that the system doesn't have to go through 3 community strings before it gets to the correct one for client B's subnet.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback guod and aaron_daniels. Those are features we've had other customers request too.

0 Kudos

Wish List: Be able to permanently exclude a range of IP's from being scanned within a subnet.

Why? Really couldn't care less about what happens within our scope areas, which typically (with a class C subnet) are the .101 -.254 addresses. They get DHCP addresses, and that's great......

But, I REALLY want to know when something plants it's IP-butt in the .1 -.100 range, as all of those should be static addresses - servers, printers, video cameras, etc.

Don

0 Kudos

I evaluated a full blown IPAM tool, and they had a subnet template tool that would automatically assign ip ranges to DHCP, different VLANs, etc when the subnet is created.  Now, these tools built the DHCP...  Didn't just report them... so this was more critical.

0 Kudos

Thanks Dan, those are both very great points. At this time, we have no plans to expand beyond monitoring for Address Management. As always, we'll continue to monitor this request.

0 Kudos

I understand not wanting to do DHCP and DNS management.  I didn't explain my point very well.  I'd still like to see a template capability that would allow you to automatically add attributes to blocks of IP addresses in a new subnet....   Block that are DHCP managed, blocks that are assigned to different VLANs, etc.  

I think that would be best implemented as an enhancement to the SuperNet object.  We could have a Supernet template.  Once template would be for a plant /24 mask supernet.  It would automatically create a subnet for the DHCP scope, and would create subnets for the various VLANs.  Alternatively, or in addition, it could automatically populate fields for each IP address and/or subnet such as gateway IP, VLAN ID, Department, etc.

What I've started doing is creating a Supernet for every subnet (/24 or greater).  Then create a /24 subnet under it.  If I wanted to carve it up into vlans, I can create the new smaller subnets and delete the /24.  A template system would make this quicker, and allow populating key fields automatically. 

0 Kudos

We would like a single discovery engine that does all the discovery for all products.  That way there is one place to define snmp strings, credentials, etc.  And a single scan could have multiple puposes.  For instance, I may do a nightly full in depth scan that would churn up used IPs, Devices and Ports.  That info could be consumed by NPM, NTA, APM and IPAM.  I may then have smaller IPAM type scans throughout the day.

We would also like the ability to right click on an address in IPAM and either create a new NPM / APM resource or jump to the existing NPM / APM resource.

I personally also like the custom color options, as we could match those up with our internal scheme.

0 Kudos

We would like a single discovery engine that does all the discovery for all products.

Absolutely, this single scan should also scan for IOS DHCP scopes (if IPAM is installed), IP SLA Monitors (if IPSLA is installed). etc, etc, etc..

As for the backend, This could all be stored in the NPM nodes table, currently we have the nodes table, the network sonar discovery table, the IPAM address table (sorry not onsite now, cant lookup the tablenames).

I'm no DBA but id' imagine this simplification of the database would make things far more efficient as well?

Thanks,
Aaron

0 Kudos

Don,

That is an interesting request. Does it cause any problems to scan those addresses or are you just trying to minimize the amount of traffic being sent? Anyone else out there think this would be useful in their environment?

Mav

0 Kudos

I like what Don331 has said but.... mine would be a bit different as i would still want to scan my whole subnet, but id like to be able to alert on only ip changes in the .1-.100 and .241-.254 range which are my static/reserved address's.

ie. so if a static ip went from avaible to used without going reserved first i want to get alerted... (as someone hasn't requested the ip address)

Kinda ties in to what Don331 wants (well i think so)

0 Kudos

I'd like to see an option to do a more indepth scan of a subnet.  I've got some devices that do not respond to pings for security reasons.  I'm not sure what else IPAM does to identify hosts, but it doesn't pick up our "stealthed" devices.  We can find these devices by doing port scans.  It would be nice if IPAM had the ability to some more indepth port scanning to flag these IP's as used.  Currently I have to manually edit the list so that these IP's are not flagged as available.

0 Kudos

Discoman,

We have been working on some improvements around indirect discovery. Please see the below forum. This should be available very soon.

Also, we have a Release Candidate out for existing customers on active maintenance through the end of the month. You can see the RC forum here

Mav

0 Kudos
Level 7

Would like the ability to scan large block of addresses (/8 or /16 for instance) and search for a contiguous block of IPs (/24 for instance). 

0 Kudos
Level 7

CS_LIU,

Here's what I use to get rid of those RED /30 subnets...

Top 10 Subnets by % IP Address Used --> Edit
Filter Subnets (SQL): Subnet.CIDR = 24 (enter this filter, see if that works for you)

HTH....

0 Kudos
Level 11

I would like to see an Audit report of what IP's are found within IPAM but are not within NPM.  We have a lot of people that add devices and it would be nice to find them without having to manually go through and check each one.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I'd love to see an automated daemon form of the Switch Port Mapper from the Engineers Toolset integrated with this module to bring full drill-down intelligence of IP information within the network. It would run against the device database in NPM to gather information and pump into IPAM.

I want ARP and CAM information scraped out of my routers, firewalls and switches such that I can do things like either add tabs with the switch hostname/IP, port number, and MAC address for each IP entry to the table view, or alternatively hide those tabs and be able to click an IP to drill into this information.

Currently there are few options for this information in a vendor-neutral context. There's Netdisco (open-source, but very out-of-date in terms of development), Infoblox PortIQ (appliance that they sell standalone, and to hook into their appliance IPAM solution), and perhaps a couple others. I'd love to have this intelligence brought into the Orion pane of glass.

In my view, this information is integral to any IPAM solution, though it's essentially never provided as an "under-one-roof" feature.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

I'd love to see an automated daemon form of the Switch Port Mapper from the Engineers Toolset integrated with this module to bring full drill-down intelligence of IP information within the network. It would run against the device database in NPM to gather information and pump into IPAM.

I want ARP and CAM information scraped out of my routers, firewalls and switches such that I can do things like either add tabs with the switch hostname/IP, port number, and MAC address for each IP entry to the table view, or alternatively hide those tabs and be able to click an IP to drill into this information.

Currently there are few options for this information in a vendor-neutral context. There's Netdisco (open-source, but very out-of-date in terms of development), Infoblox PortIQ (appliance that they sell standalone, and to hook into their appliance IPAM solution), and perhaps a couple others. I'd love to have this intelligence brought into the Orion pane of glass.

In my view, this information is integral to any IPAM solution, though it's essentially never provided as an "under-one-roof" feature.

David, this is for sure a terrific idea we have heard and talked about internally as well to consider for a future release

0 Kudos

Is there any way to alert me when Key ip addresses become "live". 

For example when we open a new site the router address is always .1  If i can be alerted if goes from unused to used  then i can track which of my sites are coming online ahead or behind schedule.

Cheers

Dan

0 Kudos

As a formal build in feature of IPAM using the alerting framework, not currently, we have that as an open enhancement request.  However, do you own APM?  If so, there is a workaround you could possibly use.

0 Kudos