cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

Who wants better IPAM importing?

Do you want importing to be better in IPAM? Specifically, do you want to maintain your hierarchy with Groups and Supernets? This is the place to tell us more about it. I am happy to talk directly with anyone offline about this as well.

The best posts included details information about what you want and why. The better we understand what you are trying to do, the better we can make this process.

For those of you who are willing to provide example spreadsheets, that is the best way for us to understand exactly what you are trying to do. If you would like to share, then let me know and I will contact you directly offline to get this.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
44 Replies

Creting different views for the same subnets is exactly what I am referrign to.

I figured out a kludgy workaround - I put one set of information in the Location field and teh other set of information in the Description field.  Lets me do a report against specific groups (Subnet.Location Like Agency_name and Subnet.Description Like Net_type)

0 Kudos

Then yes, something like Smart Groups for IPAM would be absolutely perfect for the both of us.  Hopefully, SW saw this coming a mile away and has already started looking into providing this functionality.

0 Kudos

rao000 and bleearg13, this is something we have heard before and something we are considering, but we are not actively working on it. See the "What we are working on" post to see those active items.

0 Kudos

I did figure out a workaround that will work - I just don't have access to the nice GUI functionality to do it - alas

0 Kudos

Thanks for the screenshots David. IPAM does not currently recognize the supernet, but I've logged a feature request for this.

Mav

0 Kudos

Mav,

I just want to confirm the feature request is for SuperScope. Supernet is another DHCP configuration possibly worth considering as well but my need is to recognize non-contiguous subnetworks as members of a single SuperScope sharing the total IP base minus exclusions configured in each member sub network.

Kind Regards,

David Schratwieser
Network Engineer
Allscripts

Orion NPM v10.1.3 SLX
Orion IPAM v2.0.1 IPX
Orion IPSLAMgr v3.5.1 SLA50
Orion NCM v6.1 DL1000
Orion NTA v3.7 SLX

0 Kudos

David, you are correct. I meant to type SuperScope not subnet There are other options we get requests for as well (ex: exclusions), but I definitely have your SuperScope request logged.

Mav

0 Kudos
Level 9

I would like to see the adding of DHCP Servers a little easier. Instead of using a radio button, Multiple checkmarks would make it a lot less repetitive and a lot quicker for adding multiple dhcp servers/scopes.

0 Kudos

Good suggestion nbjeter3. I assume you use the same credentials for all servers. Is that right?

0 Kudos

We are, Yes. We try to keep things pretty universal due to the usage of multiple Solarwinds modules.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses. I've logged the feature request.

0 Kudos

Hi Mavturner, 

I only have a few DHCP servers, but I see the potential problem that nbjeter3 is experiencing. Maybe you can implement something like the options that is offered with APM? Where you have a template, and you can apply the template (or credentials) to all, however you can still override the credentials for individual servers? Then if there are a few using different credentials, then you can still use a bulk import? 

Just my 2 cents!

0 Kudos
Level 16

We have been using the toolset IPAM.  We have 1200 subnets in there.  I only care about the subnet and its description.  How do I get those to import?  Bulk leaves out the description and the import is for individual devices.....  Am I missing something???

I can't ask my night people to add 1200 descriptions.... 

Any suggestions....  Easier way would be extremely helpful!

0 Kudos

There is not a good way to do this today, that is why this thread exists, to solicit feedback and make sure we cover as many people's requirements as possible so we can make it better in the upcoming release. Based on some preliminary conversations, most people simply want fields to be updated with the subnet and to include the subnet mask so that the subnets are added with structure.

Any additional feedback is much appreciated! 

0 Kudos

As a service provider, we only really care about allocating information to IP Subnets, not individual IP addresses. We have a spreadsheet with the subnet information, however we would lose all the attached information to the Subnet as we have to just paste them into the Import Box. 

Could there be a way that we manage IP Subnets, instead of IP Addresses. Allocating custom properties to them. 

If you want to discuss more, let me know and I will be able to discuss requirements. 

0 Kudos

Daniel,

Not yet - we're in the same boat.  I am hopeful, though, that the next release of IPAM will improve upon this.

evt

0 Kudos

We hear you guys and hopefully will be able to make this better in the future.

In the meantime, it is possible to add custom properties to subnets, just not through import. If you create the custom properties you can then do a bulk update directly through SQL to merge your spreadsheet data with IPAM. I realize this isn't ideal, but like I said - we're working on making this better.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi Mav,

I have a spreadsheet or two that I can share as well.  We document; SiteID's, Project, Physcial Location, WAN Circuit Type, IP Address and Subnet Mask.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Level 8

Mav,

If you'd like to see our spreadsheet-based manager, I'd be happy to set up a web meeting. We track simple detail: Network, Mask, CIDR, Description, Owner's Group, Owner's Sub-group . It seems a shame that I can't import this information. We have over 2,000 subnets in 3 public networks and the private address space.

Mike

0 Kudos

Thanks for the offer guys! We'll be contacting you directly offline for a UI review. Anyone else?

0 Kudos
Level 14

Yes, better importing of subnets.  As I've already mentioned in a previous post, we are trying to migrate from our current in-house developed IP manager.  I have lots of information assigned to *subnets* (not individual IPs) that needs to accompany the subnets upon import into IPAM.

The problem is, IPAM does not support importing subnets and custom properties for subnets - it is all based only upon individual IP addresses.  I recall reading in a post somewhere that I can import my data into IP Address Manager and then export it, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I can do a gotomeeting if you want to see our homegrown solution and better understand what it is I am talking about.

0 Kudos