cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

What we are working on post IPAM 2.0

Jump to solution

We always listening to what you are saying - see the updated list below for items we are working on for a future release of IPAM.

• User Delegation
    • Defining access roles per subnet, group, or supernet as well as combinations of those containers for specific users
  • Improved Importing
  • User Experience Tweaks
    • Support for drag&drop and autoscroll
  • DHCP management
    • Add new scope
    • Update IP address status (reservation) on DHCP server via IPAM
  • DNS monitoring
  • Other bug fixes and improvements

More to come as we continue our planning and development!

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release.  We are working on a number of other smaller features in parallel.   If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

1 Solution

I've talked to a few people who are really interested in automatic discovery of subnets. This is definitely an interesting request and something we are looking in to, but will probably not make the next release. Stay tuned for more.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
61 Replies

Now you have a chance to vote for new features: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/polls/1026 so give us your opinion!

0 Kudos

One suggestion after recently implementing IPAM v2.0.1 is regarding the scheduling of subnet scans.

Currently you have to just set the timer intervals and work out whether this will clash with other scans or not.

What tends to happen when you have a number of scans overlapping is the scans never close completely.

What I'd like to see is some kind of scheduling calendar showing scans and when they are set to run so I can easily plan when larger subnets with longer lasting scans are running and fit in smaller subnets in between.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Has there been any time frame when the next release will come out and what features will be there.

0 Kudos

Hi, I can't say exactly when a new release will be out but we just released a new IPAM Beta (which can indicate something ). The list of what we are working on for the IPAM is actually on the first page of this thread.

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos
Level 8

Mav, from reading thwack it appears that quite a few users have the infoblox dhcp solution and would like to pull the information into ipam; myself being one of them.  Would it be prudent to inquire about the possibility of adding support for additional DHCP engines (infoblox, dhcpd) to the list of supported dhcp daemons in the next release?

0 Kudos

+1 on the ability to query infoblox.

0 Kudos

Hi,

it's not currently what we are working on. But we are aware of such request and we are monitoring that.

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

As we always trying to listen what problems you need to solve we decided to update content of "what we are working on" for IPAM. As you can see we added support for DHCP management and DNS monitoring there. The DHCP and DNS support will allow you to do a more effective management of your IP address space via SolarWinda IPAM.

0 Kudos
Level 7

User delegation is a big thing that I need with this tool.

Please add me to the RC list 😄

0 Kudos

Hi,

could you please contact me via email if you are interested in beta/rc?

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

Send me your email address.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

could you please contact me via email if you are interested in beta/rc?

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

you can click on my profile here on thwack and then click at "send email".

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

When I click on "Send and Email" is tells me that I have not reached a level to do this yet.

Here is my email I tried to send you.

Hi Michal,

We would be interested in beta/rc testing.

We were sold on user delegation and promised that this feature would be coming quickly. That’s why we purchased the SolarWinds IPAM solution…. Over a year ago

Unfortunately, if SolarWinds is unable to produce this solution quickly, we are going to have to start researching other products so that we can get this done.

Do you know of an approximate time when this feature will be ready for testing?

We are willing to work with you on this issue and are looking forward to it.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

you can click on my profile here on thwack and then click at "send email".

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

thanks for a feedback you gave me during yesterday call. I'm looking forward to hear more from you regarding user delegation feature.

regards,

Michal

0 Kudos
Level 8

Mav - How about filtering for each column in the grid? Sure would make life better if I could filter the grid on partial matches in description and custom attributescolumns.

The UI is really challenging for large numbers of subnets. Please! Have the grid hold its position when you edit an entry. Imagine having to walk back through a dozen pages of subnets every time you edit a single entry. Arghhhh!

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm now taking ownership of IPAM instead of Mav. Regarding your request - I know those "small" things may make life a lot easier. Let me discuss this with our UX team and we will consider that for future.

thanks for good tips,

Michal

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm now taking ownership of IPAM instead of Mav. 

You mean for a temporary time or forever???

0 Kudos

Hi,

it is not temporary.

0 Kudos
Level 10

One more minor tweak I'd like to suggest that should be easy to implement:  when creating subnets, the first and last items are reserved (subnet boundary and broadcast). 

Maybe make those shaded and allow them to be given a name with a global setting "I want all my subnet broadcast addresses to be called 'Broadcast - DO NOT USE' "  something along those lines so that we don't have to type it in for each subnet, and that its already colored out. 

The purple "reserved" dot on the side is sometimes hard to notice.

Level 10

Also - any time frame when this will be available?  Month?  6 months?

0 Kudos