This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Subnet status

We just purchased IPAM2.0 and I'm trying to add new subnets in and finding a shortcoming.  Is there a way to set the status of a subnet itself, as opposed to the individual IP addresses within it?  I know I can create a custom property, but was hoping there was a way to do it natively.  I'm not particularly concerned about the status of individual IPs, as we are a service provider who assigns entire subnets to customers.

• By "status of a subnet" I assume you mean the number of Used / Available addresses, is this correct?

Does the "Top 10 Subnet by % IP Address Used" resource on the IPAM homepage provide the information you are looking for? Obviously in your large environment 10 is probably not sufficient, but if you create a new page and add this resource to that page, you can increase this to 100 subnets. Would that help?

• No, not number of used/available IPs.  In my environment, I couldn't care less how many addresses are being used on a particular subnet, but rather that the subnet as a whole is "Used" (ie. assigned to a customer so it therefore cannot be assigned elsewhere, thus, used).

• Have you used the Subnet Allocation Wizard? This will show you all available subnets in a specific supernet. These screens are intended for monitoring as much as allocation. 

• I don't think you are understanding.  I am not trying to figure out subnets, allocate subnets, or monitor/poll subnets.  I am simply looking to assign a status to a subnet as a whole, like IPAM does for individual IPs.

We assign customers a subnet for their use.  We don't care how many IPs are being used within the subnet.  Often, we can't even ping the IPs in the subnet because of a firewall.  Even if we could ping them, we wouldn't, as we simply do not care about individual IP addresses that are under the control of our customers.  The subnet is theirs to use as they wish and I couldn't care less if they used every last available address in their network.

With our current system, there are statuses assigned to subnets (not IP addresses), quite similar to the statuses that are listed for individual IPs in IPAM: Used, Reserved, Available, Unusable, and No Status.  When we assign a subnet to a customer, the subnet is marked as 'Used'.  There are no such statuses for subnets in IPAM - they currently only exist for individual IP addresses.  As I said before, I know that I can create a custom property and just populate it with the text, 'Used', 'Reserved', 'Available', 'No Status', and 'Unusable', but I was hoping that there was a better way.

As it is, the canned reports are pretty much useless for us, because all they do is count individual IP addresses and not subnets as a whole.  That said, I'm not too concerned about the canned reports, as we will likely just create our own to suit our needs.