This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Search for desktop IP on a Orion network node

Hello, sorry if this has been asked, been trying to search the forums this morning and I keep getting resource not available errors.

I'm trying to find a way to search the arp tables of my switch nodes for an IP being used by a DHCP client.  Is that even possible?  I can search for the IP in IPAM and see that its "used" but it would be great if I knew what switch and what port it was running on.  Every edge switch and every edge switch interface has been added to our Orion NPM.

much thanks

b-

• If you know what switch it is on then you could use toolset switch port mapper.

• 9 times out of 10 we do not know the switch involved.  Am I to understand that this is something that isnt possible?

-b

• So not today, but this is something we have on the list for the future of IPAM.  Have you looked at our LANsurveyor product?  With that product it has a port mapping report which should do what you want.

• That would be a great feature, we are migrating from another NMS(InMon) that had that and it was probably our most used feature next to alerting.  Do you guys ever forsee LAN Surveyor being gobbled up by Orion as a module?  Unfortunatly LANSurveyor isnt free so I cant even think about getting it till July :(

If I know the commands to get the information I want is it something that could possibly be scripted or polled?  (i'm new to orion)

thanks

b-

• So see here and here for some info on what we are working on

So you could use the Universal Device Poller to poll via SNMP this info and then display on the node details page and report on them, but you can't search on them

• So followup question on the LaPoint post.

"This current plan is to deliver this as an update to the NCM integration module for Orion NPM."

Under the current plan, and I totally understand that plans can change with the wind, would someone need to own NCM (we don't) in order to search for an IP endpoint?  With all the searching that is in NPM and IPAM already that seems like an odd place to put that feature.  I doubt we would spend the $$ just to get that one feature when we could get the same feature for considerably less with LANSurveyor.  This might be a question I should put in that post....

-b

• Yeah it probably does belong there, thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys!

have a good thanksgiving.

b-