This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reserved IPs and last response field for DHCP discovered subnets

I have noticed that any IP address that is reserved via DHCP, will have a "last response" of today's date (assuming daily subnet scans). It will show this whether the IP address is active or not. We have quite a few old DHCP reservations, and the machines are long gone, but the reservation has not been removed.

Is there any way for IPAM to tell me the real "last response", based on pings, rather than assuming that the reserved IPs are active?

As of now, I have no way of telling if a reserved IP is actually active or not via IPAM.

thanks,

Jeremy

• bump

Anyone have an answer for this?

• Jeremy,

Sorry for the delayed response. The machines are gone but are the reservations still active in your DHCP server? If there is an active reservation, then the address is not available, hence it is used.

Mav

• I see what you are saying. However, I would like for it actually show me the REAL "last response time", not just what is listed in DHCP.

That leads me to my next question I guess.

When monitoring a DHCP scope. Does IPAM try to ping the ip addresses, or does it just report what is in DHCP?

If that's the case, I guess I could create a subnet with the same IP address range. Since IPAM does attempt to ping all addresses in a non "discovered" subnet.

Kinda defeats part of the purpose of managing DHCP servers though.

Thoughts?