cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Questions on IPAM Capabilities

Hi all,

My organization has tasked me with the vague task of managing our IP space in IPAM. They've really not given me any specific instructions other than making it easily readable to quickly determine available or full IP space by our geographically separated nodes and to set up scans to automatically pick up new subnets based on node.

Few of them are of the belief that IPAM's subnet discovery can automatically organize newly discovered subnets to specific folders based on separate discoveries for each individual node its scanning (ie all discoveries on Node A will automatically show up in Folder A, repeat for B, C, etc).

I havent been successful making this work however. I can set up the scan and a destination, but doesn't look like I can do it for each separate Node and Folder (approx 30).

Is this a fool's errand? Or am I missing the boat on how this should be configured? Do you have any alternatives to suggest?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MVP
MVP

To my knowledge, IPAM won't automatically place subnets into groups from a discovery. The groups are used to organise the subnets into a more readable structure, e.g. Sites and breaking it down further into categories like Wireless networks, DMZs, Servers, etc.

If you know your various subnets you could use the Import method with the structure / IP addresses templates and build a structure with groups and parent IDs.

In the example below, the two groups "Test" and "Test 2" are at the top level (ParentID = 0). The Supernet is in the Test group and the 3 subnets link to the supernet as the parent ID. The final subnet has a parentID of 19, which is the ID of the "Test 2" group.

shuth_0-1590570406375.png

Otherwise you could run your discoveries, import everything in, export the data, delete it from IPAM, massage the data in your spreadsheets and import it all back in again.

0 Kudos