This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question on alert tuning...

For the  IP Manager, under Manage Advanced Alerts. Can you distinguish between laptops/desktops (which we are not concerned with) and if it is a server/other network device that goes down/unresponsive. Not sure which option to set to "yes"  to distinguish the two.    Sorry for the newbie question...

• Theres a few ways you could tackle this. I would look at  DHCP client name, MAC address, or make your own custom property. I normally have a custom property and do all my alerting out of NPM for up/down. Much more elegant. But if you must distinguish between the two if you use a certain naming convension the DHCP client name column with the right wildcards should be able to pick it up or if you use different manufactuers between servers and laptops you can exclude or include certain MAC prefixes from your alert.