This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Non-Routable networks

I am trying to scan non-routable networks using neighbor scanning. I have the creds in for snmp, and have tested them. On the server I chose for the neighbor, I have pinged the non-routable network, and the status correctly shows up in IPAM after scanning in Orion. What I am not seeing is the HOSTNAME show up on the systems. I was able to get them to show up by adding a NIC on the same non-routable network to the Orion server, but that defeats the purpose of having non-routable since we have many of them, and are isolating that traffic. Should I expect to see the hostnames show up? I believe neighbor scanning is reading the arp table on the neighbor server. 

Thanks!

• I've never used neighbor scanning, but I'll take a stab at it.  I'm assuming your meaning the hostname doesn't show up in IPAM since that's what you were discussing?  

IPAM I believe can get the hostname of a device either via  DNS hostname resolution, or via SNMP.   This would be similar to NPM which can read the hostname or sysname via SNMP.   Of course for any SNMP resolution to work, you would have to have "Enable SNMP Scanning" checked and have SNMP credentials set up for the hosts which is done separate from other modules.  I think "public" is the only default one.   Guessing this is less likely.

That would mean that in order for IPAM to get DNS resolution on the devices on that network, that it would need to connect to a DNS server that is configured with the IPs on this unreachable network.   If the reachable network DNS server doesn't have those IP's in it, there is no way for IPAM to resolve them.   If when you connect directly to that network with Solarwinds, it learns about a DNS server on that network either via manual configuration or DHCP, it would then be able to resolve them.   

The easy way to test would be to do an "nslookup <IP ADDRESS>" on the Solarwinds server both when its not connected to that network and when it is.    If it doesn't resolve when not connected, but does when it is connected, that tells you that there is a DNS server on the network that is doing the resolution.   IPCONFIG /ALL should let you know what it is.