Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Importing IPs from ToolSet's IP Address Management

Jump to solution

Hello Thwack;

Has anyone been successful in importing IP addresses from Toolset's IP address Management app into IPAM?

Regards

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Just closing the loop on this issue.

We did investigate and constructed a private update for this issue. If your import throws an exception (fails with a verbose error), please contact our technical support for assistance. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Level 11

i too found no way to do this and have been entering all of mine manually

0 Kudos

Here you go

The parameter after STOP and START need to be enclosed within double quotes (and not the ones Word replaces on you with).

1.   Locate the Toolset IP Address Manager database on your Toolset server.

Note: The Toolset IP Address Manager database has an .ipdb extension.

2.   Copy the Toolset IP Address Manager database to an appropriate location on your Orion server.

3.   Open the Command Prompt on your Orion server.

Note:Typically, the command prompt may be opened by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

4.   Enter CD <volume>:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\IPAM.

5.   Enter NET STOP "SolarWinds IPAM Information Service"

6.   Enter SolarWinds.IPAM.Init.exe -import <Full path to your Toolset IP Address Manager database>.

7.   Enter NET START "SolarWinds IPAM Information Service"

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have already populated IPAM with all our supernets and some subnets.  If we import our Toolset IPDB will IPAM insert each subnet under the corresponding supernet?  What happens if IPAM encounters a duplicate subnet on import?

0 Kudos

rgward,

That's an excellent point you bring up. I'm glad you asked.

The import tool was meant to help initialize the install. It will seek out an existing subnet of the same address space and overwrite its contents. I wouldn't recommend you run it since all your subnets have been added... leading to a potential reversion of changes.

New subnets are added under "IP Networks"... the top level group.

0 Kudos

Is there a way to also import the description of the subnet?  I'm going from a spreadsheet and importing that into the toolset database file using Access and then importing that into IPAM.  Can I modify the Toolset .ipdb file in Access and add a column or have it in my original spreadsheet that will allow this information to be added as well?   I've tried adding a column named Description with the information, but that didn't import the information.  Is there a different name that column should be called?

Thanks,

Michael D. Jones

JetBlue Airways

0 Kudos

Michael, just so you don't think we are ignoring you  We are looking into this, I don't believe there is an easy way to do this today, but double checking.

0 Kudos
Thanks Brandon.

I've got my subnets imported now, so my follow-up question is:

Is there a way, preferably and easy one, to import just the subnet descriptions without overwriting the existing subnet information. I'm especially interested in not pulling all of the subnets out of the containers/folders that I spent 18 hours moving them into. . .one subnet at a time.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Peter for your quick reply!   Okay, this will work for us, I think.  We're not doing any polling of subnet address spaces yet.  So, with the Toolset subnets imported at the top level, we should be able to drag and drop them into the proper supernet.

0 Kudos

I am not sure if this step was suppose to be verbatim but didn't work for me:

5.   Enter NET STOP SolarWinds IPAM Information Service.

I used: net stop swipaminformationservice

After figuring that out, the import failed for me so I will be contacting support on it.

0 Kudos

Can you post the error you are getting?

0 Kudos

Can you post the error you are getting?

Sure, it was:

Unhandled Exception: System.OverflowException: Failed to convert parameter value from a UInt64 to a Int64. ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int64.

I just got off the phone with tech support and they had a hotfix for it and the import worked great afterwards.

0 Kudos

Here is the error I'm getting.....

Can someone post the hotfix?

E:\Orion\IPAM>solarwinds.ipam.init.exe -import DiaglabsIPMan.ipdb

Unhandled Exception: System.OverflowException: Failed to convert parameter value
 from a UInt64 to a Int64. ---> System.OverflowException: Value was either too l
arge or too small for an Int64.
   at System.Convert.ToInt64(UInt64 value)
   at System.UInt64.System.IConvertible.ToInt64(IFormatProvider provider)
   at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvid
er provider)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType dest
inationType)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType dest
inationType)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.GetCoercedValue()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.Validate(Int32 index, Boolean isCommand
Proc)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.BuildParamList(TdsParser parser, SqlParam
eterCollection parameters)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.BuildExecuteSql(CommandBehavior behavior,
 String commandText, SqlParameterCollection parameters, _SqlRPC& rpc)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBe
havior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult
 result)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehav
ior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, S
tring method)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader()
   at SolarWinds.IPAM.Storage.DAL.IPNodeDAL._ListOfNonExistentIpOrdinal(Int32 su
bnetId, String rangestring)
   at SolarWinds.IPAM.Storage.DAL.IPNodeDAL.EnsureOrdinals(Int32 subnetId, Strin
g rangestring)
   at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.FinalizeSubnetImport(SubnetInfo parent
)
   at SolarWinds.IPAM.Import.ImportHelper.ImportToolsetSubnetsDatabase(String fi
lepath, ImportMode mode, List`1 results)
   at IPAM.Init.Program.Import()
   at IPAM.Init.Program.Main(String[] args)

E:\Orion\IPAM>

0 Kudos

Here is the error I'm getting.....

Can someone post the hotfix?

I was provided a secure authenticated link via email, so I think it would be best to contact support for the hotfix.  Also they can verify if it is right for your setup.  If they wanted it public, they would have provided it or maybe they will after further testing.

0 Kudos

Just closing the loop on this issue.

We did investigate and constructed a private update for this issue. If your import throws an exception (fails with a verbose error), please contact our technical support for assistance. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

This is just a reminder that, thanks to the community, IPAM v1.5 included a fix based on what we found investigating this thread. The "private update" I mentioned above is integrated into IPAM v1.5.

If you do experience a similar issue, I still ask you to contact our technical support and open a case.

0 Kudos

There is a command line utility you can  run to import subnets and IP's from Toolset, let me get the directions for you and re-post

0 Kudos
Level 17

Yes, this is possible.

The steps can be found here.

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionIPAMAGImportingIPAddressesSettings.htm

0 Kudos

Hello Mark;

These instructions are only for importing from a Excel xls or csv file. That would mean exporting each of the IP addresses ranges. Isn't there a way to import the whole ipdb file into IPAM?

0 Kudos