This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Import Network Sonar Data

Network Sonar will take a seed router, and discover all the subnets in the route database, then ping devices in each subnet.  Can I import this data, or is there a way to use a seed router to feed subnets into IPAM?

Thanks

-=Dan=-

• We cannot currently specify a seed router and search for subnets, this is an open enhancement in the system.  Let me double check though if we can export from Orion

• So I double checked an no you cannot currently export the subnets from NPM and import into IPAM, but a good idea

• I've got the 9.2 version of the Engineers toolkit, and the Network Sonar tool does an awesome job of finding subnets and scanning them quickly.  Only thing better would be to keep checking devices for routes as you go so you can find subnets that are summarized at WAN level.  We often break a Class B into several VLANS at a site, but is summarized at the WAN.

-=Dan=-

• So if you have Engineers Toolset and ever used the IP Address Manager there, we can pull those into IPAM

1. Locate the Toolset IP Manager database on your Toolset server.
    2. Copy the Toolset IPAddress Manager db to an appropriate location on your Orion server.
    3. Open a CommandPrompt on the Orion server.
    4. Enter CD :\ProgramFiles\SolarWinds\Orion\IPAM.
    5. Enter NET STOP ''SolarWinds IPAM Information Service''.
    6. Enter SolarWinds.IPAM.Init.exe -import <Fullpath to your Toolset IP Address Manager database>.
    7. Enter NET START ''SolarWinds IPAM Information Service''.
  • Looks like I can use the Sonar to find subnet, then export to a .CSV.  Can I import a .CSV into IPAM?  I think that the IP Address Manager will allow that.

• There just is no way to extract the subnets found with Network Sonar.  At least the version I have.  What you can use is the Subnet List tool, and this exports to a CSV.  This you can import into the IP Address Manager, then do the IPAM import.  Very convoluted.  If each tool had just a little more power, it would be simple.  After working on this, I do believe the right answer is to focus on importing AD DHCP scope, but I would like to see IPAM checking the routes on discovered devices to see if a summary can be split into smaller subnets (VLANS).  It would be nice to discover the PVID and VLAN name for the subnet if that's possible.

• There has been multiple posts on this topic, so we are hearing loud and clear that this is not optimal by any means, both native ability to import subnet lists and also to pull subnet lists from devices directly or what I call, indirect discovery.

• Sorry,

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I posted information about importing Net Sonar data that didn't actually work, and I just wanted to set the record straight that you can't use Net Sonar data since it won't dump discovered subnet data detail.   -=Dan=-